The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well according to the calving calculators, she's due this month around the 23rd, I think. This is her 1st calving, so hoping all goes well :)
I'm REALLY hoping for a heifer! :)

Kinda hoping it has a lot of white too, but it will most likely be red with a tiny amount of white.

No names thought of for the calf yet, her's is Lady, the bull she was bred to is Sugarfoots, so it's not much help :lol:

Here are some pics of her udder development as of today, she's getting pretty squishy in the back too.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I see what you are saying here! I always can tell, especially when it's their first time, that they are close because the tail head seems to stick up and she's got that, guess it's the same with goats and their ligs (??) what breed is she a short horn or cross? My dang Angus first timers are driving me up the wall this year not getting a big bag before they go and then of course there's the ones that look like they will go any day by judging their bag but it ends up being another month lol. She is so pretty though whatever she is!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's Milking Shorthorn, and she also has a tad of Holstein in there. Here's her back end from like 30 minutes ago, she's either much looser now than she was this morning or I really just haven't been paying attention at all! :lol: She's not friendly enough to let me feel her ligs, but they look like they're sinking in. I guess she'll calve as soon as those teats fill :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
When she's not swatting at flies is her tail off to the side like that or are you just timing it? She looks fairly close to me

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When she's not swatting at flies is her tail off to the side like that or are you just timing it? She looks fairly close to me
I think that was mostly just the timing, her tail isnt usually off to the side, but every now and then she will hold it that way for a bit.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, we're in the waiting/watching zone of the due date, could go any day now to a little over into almost august. I think she will go sooner than later though.
I had to pull her off the pasture tonight because it looks like the other calf, Sugarbean, has been nursing on her here and there. She had an even udder the other night, then the next day it was lopsided like one quarter had been totally drained, and that has happened 3x now, so I'm pretty sure it's Sugarbean.
Lady's fore has at least doubled in size, filling more in the rear quarters, getting looser in the back too.

I think she'll have a pretty nice udder once she's full, minus the extra teat nubs she has though.... I STILL can't find any information on whether or not you get marked down for extra tissue/teat nubs, it's very common in dairy cows though. Chances are 50/50 if they'll have them or not.

But hopefully by the end of the month I'll have another healthy mom and calf. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:update: Looks like she's gonna go within the next 24hrs!:woohoo: :stars:

Ligs are just about gone, she's bagging up, holding her tail out and she had a couple contractions while I was out there. :woohoo: Praying for an easy delivery with a healthy new mom and baby! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts