The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a few times on our registered LaMancha/Alpine cross doe. She is a FF, and when we bought her in early August (from a "Naturalist" couple, she was terribly deficient in minerals, nutrition, etc. She was a walking skeleton when we first saw her. Bela had just freshened with twins, 2 months to us purchasing her. The first week we had her, she had a congested udder that cleared within a week. At that time, mastitis tests were negative. She steadily milks out a gallon a day.

Since then she has been copper bolused, twice, with Copasure for goats. Wormed for the first time ever in her life (shes 2), with Safeguard, given probios, Selenium/E gel, Vitamin C powder, vitamin b....after 2 months on soaked beet pulp pellets, 16% Nutrena grain mixed with 1 cup of BOSS, top dressed with Sweetlix Meatmaker minerals and 1/2 cup corn oil, free choice 2nd cutting alfalfa, she is looking gorgeous!! There are NO weeds that she has access to, nothing at all that would taint the taste of the milk.

In the beginning her milk was pretty goaty, and only two out of my 7 children would drink it. Even the cheese we have made with it tastes gross. All along, I really thought her nutritional and mineral deficiencies were the cause. So, we have worked hard, but patiently, and put a lot of money into restoring her health. We also tried Redstar baking yeast for 5 days, a teaspoon in the morning and again at night. Didn't help.

And her milk still tastes awful! Last week I finally asked my 17 year old daughter, to milk out each side individually into a quart jar. The side that was congested in the past, had a slight off taste. I couldn't drink it, but several of my kids could. The other side was so disgusting no one could drink it. We all ADORE this doe, with her loving gentleness, her sweet, passive personality, as a FF she is a dream on the stand to milk out, and effortless to trim hooves, etc.

What am I missing?! Calling all wise and seasoned milkers, I need your help!

~ Erin

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
It sounds very much like she has a sub-clinical Staff infection. I would go ahead and treat her with Today for 3 days and give her 500mgs of vitamin C and the oil out of a garlic gelcap twice a day. Alpines can have slightly off milk but, it should be drinkable and fresh tasting.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying so quickly. From everything I've been reading and pouring over, Sub-clinical is what I was suspecting, I just wasn't quite sure how to treat it. I have also read that Alpines can give a stronger flavor to their milk, but this is flat out disgusting. Nothing fresh going on here!

I don't want to give up on this particular doe as she is such a jewel. I've had to cull several does in the past several months, due to their obnoxious, domineering, aggressive behavior. Even for her size, Bela is so calm and nurturing with our toddler and preschooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts