The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I purchased an 8 week old lamancha/Nigerian dwarf. On the ride home I felt a tiny lump where his waddles normally would be. I just assumed he had started to grow one and ended up as just a small skin tag. This morning my husband noticed a large marble size, fluid filled lump in the same spot. He's eating, drinking and his temp was 103.2. We are in Florida so it's about 99 degrees out. I'm hoping its nothing bad. Anyone have any ideas or tips on what I should do?

Attachments

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Wow, did it grow really fast? Doesn't look like a "milk goiter" but, admittedly, I don't have any experience with that. It also doesn't look like...oh I forgot the term...it's associated with a high worm load...someone will know. Temp is ok. Is this kid going to be a pet? Or buck? Is he from a "tested" herd? Idk if this is a spot for CL or not. Well, I'm not much help! Sorry. Is it squishy or hard? Does it look like there was a splinter or something that caused a wound that became infected? Call the seller and ask if they have CL in their herd, describe the lump and ask if they have seen this before.

I would proceed as though it is something contagious, jic. Separate him from your herd, put him someplace that can be disinfected. When it appears "ripe", go ahead and lance it and drain the contents and have that sent in for testing. Be sure to clean it well, and be very sure not to let the contents get splashed around. Wear gloves, as it could be something that transfers to humans. Keep him quarantined till you get the test results back.

If you don't feel competent to do this, please get your vet involved. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! He is from a very reputable breeder from a negative herd. She said she's never had any with abscesses. He is vaccinated and wormed. It just popped up like that overnight. I don't know if it'd hurt to give penicillin or not. It's squishy and I planned on breeding him. If it gets bad I will call a vet but trying to avoid that since last weekend I spent $2,500 on my cats emergency surgery :/

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
It filled up too fast to be CL although it is a common location.some breeders will remove waddles at birth but the goat can still get waddle cyst even if its removed. I would ask your breeder if she removed waddles from him.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It definitely looks like cl.

What the others said is good. It'll probably be ready to be lanced in just a day or two (I'm guessing tomorrow), given how quickly it popped up. And until it's healed up please do keep him separated from the rest of your herd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I've read I should not lance it because it can cause more contamination. I just don't want it to be CL. We just got him and are already so attached. Is it still possible even though I purchased him from someone that has a negative herd? Could he have gotten it from my herd in a week? None of my others have ever had lumps.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
What breeder did you get him from?

I would contact the breeder and ask to see the papers, if you haven't already, that say their herd is CL negative.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
From what I've read I should not lance it because it can cause more contamination. I just don't want it to be CL. We just got him and are already so attached. Is it still possible even though I purchased him from someone that has a negative herd? Could he have gotten it from my herd in a week? None of my others have ever had lumps.
Im going to be ms sour girl here, but I just learned when it comes down to it dont trust anyone in the same buisness with you, so yes IMO it could be cl. But to me it does not look like it, it came on really fast. So if I were to take a guess I would say their is something, a splinter, sticker something that is in there. But thats just my guess.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Jessica, I totally agree.

I know of a breeder, no names, here in Florida that is selling does and bucks that have I believe CAE, without telling them. If they ask then I believe she tells them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used this breeder for 3 years and have 3 very healthy goats from her. If she wasn't so involved with the goat industry (NDGCF) I would be concerned. I know there are shady breeders out there though. I was just out with him and he's still eating great and active. I felt for more lumps and didn't find any. I'm wondering if I should have it cultured if no improvement.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Could he have gotten it from my herd in a week
No, Cl does not pop up that fast...its growing too fast IMO to be CL but I cant say its not..too many things with goats can surprise us...your best bet is to have a qualified vet lance and clean it have the contents tested for peace opf mind. It could be a festering splinter as well. You will need to keep it flushed 3-4 times a day until the wall thins up and ready to heal..He should be in a pen away from the herd. Im sorry you are having to deal with this...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I spoke to my vet this morning and after describing Moon's issue he said it was highly unlikely to be CL due to his age. More likely to be a waddle cyst.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Was he Born with waddles?..I didnt see any on the pic....like I said before...some breeders remove them at birth, bt they can still get a waddle cyst. And waddle cyst can grow fast like that....if its a waddle cyst it can be drained, but will fill back up. A simple syringe with 18 G needle should work. no lancing is needed. Im sure your vet will discuss the options... Best of luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! No he wasn't born with waddles. Though he did have a tiny bit of skin in that spot like one was going to grow but stopped. The vet did explain they can still get them even without waddles. I did drain today and boy was it gross. His temp was a bit high but we are also dealing with 100 degree weather. He's eating and drinking great

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Sounds like he has an undergrown waddle...the cyst can be unsighty and a pain to deal with but not harmful..glad its figured out...do flush it with Pen G after draining it..you flush the same way you drained it..this kills any bacteria that may have entered

best wishes

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I have used this breeder for 3 years and have 3 very healthy goats from her. If she wasn't so involved with the goat industry (NDGCF) I would be concerned. I know there are shady breeders out there though. I was just out with him and he's still eating great and active. I felt for more lumps and didn't find any. I'm wondering if I should have it cultured if no improvement.
Thats good that you trust her and I wasnt really talking about her herself. Anyone can get cl from a goat they purchased if not tested. She may have trusted the wrong person in the past that had cl. And when I say 'her' that could be anyone that any of us has purchased from in the past.
Again, I think happybleats is hitting it on the head on what it could be, but for your health I would keep cl in your head. I have a doe that got a abscess below her wooohooo and I know its not cl, nothing about it is cl but I still wear gloves and all is double wrapped in bags and burned.
With his temp being a little high, even if it is hot out I would think about some pen. My dog had a abscess from a foxtail in his neck and his temp was just a tad high and the vet made me put him on anti.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did end up giving the penicillin. He's otherwise doing great. I completely agree, it is hard to trust people.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
That is close to the CL spot but a little low IMO. The speed of it, although not totally unheard of for CL (they can come up that fast if say on a commercial dairy herd in California where many of them dont even lance the abscess and just let them pop) also tells me its not CL. I have never heard of a waddle cyst without a waddle so cant speak on that.

And it will need to be lanced. Have your vet do it once it balds. Which is looks close to doing. Tarp underneath to catch any thing nasty, iodine, rubber gloves, paper towels. All of which needs to be thrown away of course.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I was surprised as well to hear that they can have a waddle cyst without waddles. Though I gladly took that opinion over CL haha. I did lance it, was pretty nasty stuff. I'm hoping he will be just fine.

I'm used to dog and cat abscesses in my line of work but still am learning about goats. Will definitely take him to the vet if he gets really sick or stops eating.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts