The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Usually 4-6 weeks prior to kidding, many people give CDT shot, BoSe shot and copper bolus.

I don't worm unless necessary. I don't worm before or after kidding if I don't see that it is needed. Some worm right after kidding.

What are you feeding her now?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the moment I am feeding her just a hand full or so of the Purina Dairy Parlor. I am planning on slowly upping it but I am not sure how much I need to be feeding.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
You don't want to feed any grain in the last month of pregnancy, because it can make the kids grow very large and the does are unable to deliver.. She should be fine on just alfalfa hay until she kids. After kidding she could have more feed. Generally you do a pound per 100 lbs of body weight and the main feed (In your case purina. Is it the noble goat? I would consider switching) and 1/2 per 100 lbs of body weight of supplements, say calf manna. Everybody has their own way of feeding, so just see what works best for you and your goats.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not feed alfalfa hay, the pricing is ridiculous here. I do however feed hay cubes. Why would you switch the purina noble goat? I feed the purina noble goat dairy parlor 16.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
If you can supplement with alfalfa pellets or cubes that is fine too.

The ingredients in most Purina feeds are not very good or healthy compared to other feeds. If you look at the thread 'goats won't eat new bag of feed' someone posted that one bag of purina feed can be totally different than the next, because they use what ever is cheapest at the time. After I use up my Noble Goat feed, I will be switching.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
It really depends on the area, and what feed stores you have available. Most of the feed stores around here only carry Purina products. A member on here suggested I look into LMF horse feeds. They only cater to a few states though. You can look on their website.

I would look for a feed that has instead of grain by products, plant proteins, etc has stuff like 'Oats, soybeans, beet pulp, barley, flax seed, etc. Usually the first 3-4 ingredients are what make up the most of the feed.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Here is a good post by Jill, comparing a good feed like LMF to Purina... Notice the huge difference!

Like this...The first 3 or 4 ingredients are the main things in the food. Usually the first 3 are the bulk of it. So...

LMF Preformance (G)
Soybean Seed Coats, Oats, Barley, Dried Beet Pulp, Flax Seed, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Monocalcium/Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Live Yeast Culture, Monosodium Phosphate, l-Lysine, Natural and Artificial Flavorings, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Choline Chloride Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Sodium Selenite, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, d-Biotin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Potassium Iodide.

Purina Enrich 32
Ingredients:
Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Molasses Products, Forage Products, Soybean Oil, Salt, Thiamine, Magnesium Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Lysine, Calcium Lignin Sulfonate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Sodium Selenite.

What are the main ingredients of the LMF? Soybean pods, Oats, Barley, beet pulp, okay that was easy.
What are the main ingredients of the Purina? Plant protein products, processed grain by-products, Calcium Carbonate...
Plant protein products=Any part of a plant that contains protein.
processed grain by-products=whatever is left over after making bio-diesel, ethanol, beer, oatmeal, flour, etc.
What's in the Purina???? I don't know, I wonder if they do?

The minerals
LMF has this word after a lot of their minerals, Proteinate, this means natural plant based minerals that are highly available to the animals body.
Sodium Selenite This is organic selenium yeast. It is better used by the animal and not poisonous like the chemical type.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think that maybe creating my own mix of "grain" would be okay? Like buy everything seperate and mix together to make my own design of feed or would I miss too many things? I feed manna pro goat minerals...would that make up for some things?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I know people do mix their feeds. I don't think you would get all the added vitamins and minerals, unless you can get them in some sort of power form.. Mixing your own feed would be great, though. If you have a grain mill near you, sometimes they will mix a grain mix for you. How many goats do you have? Not sure it would be worth if if you only have 1-2 goats that will be eating it.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Since you only have two, it would be easier (IMO) to just find a good premixed grain. I have heard that Blue Seal is a good one. Trying to think of others... Maybe just head out to the feed store and take a look at what they have. Even some horse feeds are safe. Just keep in mind what ingredients are good and what are not. If you have any questions, just take a picture of the tag with the ingredients and protein, fat, etc etc and post it on here :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts