LaMancha Doeling Not Growing

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by tracyqh, Sep 3, 2010.

1. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I have a pure LaMancha doeling, born in March, which does not seem to have "growth" to her. She's healthly, happy and alert, just very fine and doesn't seem to be growing a bit. I'm guessing her around 50 lbs. Is there any suppliment I can give or is she just going to be a runt? Love her anyways, but I'd love to have a kid or two out of her someday. IDK if she will ever grow enough though. :(

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a fecal done....for worms or cocci.....if she has any of those.. it can stunt growth...

3. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    50 pounds at 5 months is not too bad for a LaMancha. Some seem to be slower than others to get some growth on. I wouldn't worry about her too much. Give her time.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some grow faster then others. I noticed kids dont grow much in the summer but through the fall into winter they tend to grow more. Dont know why

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I would have a fecal done and if it comes out clear she's probably just a slow grower. 50lbs is on the small side, but like CrossCreekTX said, not terribly small. One of the girls born here this year is a slow grower...she was smaller and finer-boned than the others from birth and has never been as big an eater as the others. She's healthy otherwise, so I am not too concerned...she won't be bred this year but should make a fine home milker as a 2 year-old. She was born March 22 and is about 57lbs...her sister is 78lbs! And the other doeling that was born March 27 was 86lbs when I weighed her a few days ago! So yeah, there is a large range of what could be considered "normal".

6. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks! I will have the fecel sent in and see where we stand. She's just so cute and a lover, but small!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome.....good luck.... :thumb:

8. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I am glad to find this thread. We have a La Mancha girl that was born on the 26th of Feb and she is about 60 pounds. She did have a mild problem with cocci this summer but we got it taken care of pretty quick. I was worried that she was abnormally small. This is my first year with LaManchas so I'm not sure how they normally do.