The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I went to see them today and they are awesome!! They are so slick and shiny and friendly! Their lids are a nice deep pink. Good feet, good conformation, and did I mention how friendly they are!? My quesitons is: how old should they be before I breed them? They are approximately 4 months old and still have quite a bit of growing to do. At what age do they usually come into heat? Is it true most La Manchas & other dairy breeds only come into heat in the fall?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
you can breed at 80lbs or 9 months - some even breed at 7months which I would presume is when they reached 80lbs

My belief is that Lamanchas start cycling in September

did you get an exact birth date on them?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Yes, Lamanchas come in heat in the fall, usually until january or february. They can come in heat as early as 3 months old though.

For breeding, go by weight then age. They should be at least 85lbs and 8 months of age and growing steadily before breeding. If they aren't growing steadily and are bred, then they will have a lot harder time with growing while they are pregnant, and they will have a hard time keeping weight on after they freshen.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The current owner isnt the original owner and he "guesses" they are about 4 months old based on their horns. That looks like an accurate guess to me, mabybe a month short (they're 5).

So I should wait 4 months and that would put me in a December breeding, April/May kidding. That means I need to keep them separate from my bucks for 4 more months. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
so this owner doesnt know when they were born? when did he purchase them?

April/May is usual for dairy kiddings so that would make them 4/5 months which is what they look yes.

And as you already said that would put their age for breeding around December which is when I usually start breeding myself for spring kiddings

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Tip on the electric Alec....I have 3 bucks, they "roam" while the girls are in a 4 strand all hot fence....I don't have jumpers so the fence is at 2 1/2 feet...... did not stop those boys at all, especially when my eldest doe was in heat, they went right thru it. For bucks in rut I think they do need more of a visual physical barrier to make them stay put :greengrin: In the off season, they did very well but in full rutt the hormones make them very determined :wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
part of me thinks my bucks would stay. I have 3 - one is an older "gentleman" and very laid back. The other two are little bucklings who seem to be more concerned with staying near mom than mounting the ladies. Then again, I know this is just me being delusional. If i put 3 hot little ladies within eyesight of these bucks, they'd probably be in that pen in under a minute!!

What if I put them out of eyesight? I can put them in an electrified paddock where no part would be visible from the other goats place... Do you think that would help? I might just have to suck it up and buy some panel to make a tighter fence.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts