Lamancha ears?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Paige, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I really like lamanchas :love: I think that their ears are cute. But whats the point of short ears? Someone told me that they are from the mountains and it was so that their ears didnt freeze of but how can that be if they are an american breed?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    interesting article Pam! Thanks for passing that on. I used to have a LaMancha YEARS ago she was a sweetie. :)

3. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome............ :thumb: :greengrin:

5. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I too like Lamancha ears, Because of the shape they will collect ear wax that needs to be cleaned periodically. I have a Lamancha doe with short Gopher ears and hers need to be cleaned every 2 weeks they get so clogged. Her half sister with Elf ears only needs to be cleaned every 2-3 months.

6. judys

judys New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    We love our Lamanchas

7. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
  8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I've never really liked the look of Lamanchas, but I hear everywhere that they have the tastiest milk and the best personalities. I want one! :greengrin:

9. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Some of mine get cruddy and some don't. What do you use to clean yours?

10. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Ive tried some different things all with different results per ear type. Ive tried Peroxide, AC Vinegar, Water (yeah right) and my mom tried to use Bag Balm to loosen up the gunk. They all worked in some way or another, I think a combination of them all would weaken them and be useless, but I have not tried it yet.

11. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Love our mini-mancha's! I use the ear cleaner for dogs and have found that it works well. Figured if it worked on dogs ear wax, why not on goats.

12. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I keep waiting for Parsley's ears to get dirty but they are nice and clean. I still can't get used to the little ears but his personality is fantastic and way outweighs the ears, lol..

13. highlonesomefarm

highlonesomefarm New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    We have all LaManchas and I love them. They are so sweet, and give great tasting milk. At the state fair, more people came to see our girls then any other breed. "What happened to their ears" was the most common question, and it turned into a great teaching moment about the different breeds of dairy goats. Mine are my little alien goats. :clap: