LaMancha genes??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Apr 8, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    How dominant is the LaMancha gene. The mother of the 2 doelings I am supposed to look at and maybe pick up is supposed to be Boer X LaMancha but she has ears. They aren't quite as long as a Boer but close. Can the LaMancha gene be suppressed to where the offspring doesn't have gopher ears?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if the kids are born you will see if they have ears or no ears -- I think that would answer your question. I would jsut ask for pictures

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The kids have gopher ears as the buck is 100% LaMancha. The Dam is supposed to be 50% Boer and 50% LaMancha. I was just wondering why the Dam didn't have gopher ears.

EDIT: I have pictures of mom feeding the kids and also one of the buck.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just like color -- you can get just about anything ;)

you can get twins one with ears and one with gopher ears in the same litter. So its just a guess each time what you will end up with

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks for clarifying that. LaManchas and the ears or lack there of in a cross are confusing. Any time I hear the word LaMancha I think, no ears, then I see a doe who is supposed to be half and she has ears.

6. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Yeah it really can have anything happen with the ears or no ears. I have bred my nubian buck to a la boer [lamancha/boer] for two years now. Last yr she had a doe just like the mom, no ears/gopher ears. This year she had a floppy eared nubian looking doe, with painted color like dad.

Also have a pygmy lamcha doe, breed to a mini nubian and she had one kid with long ears and one gopher ears.

I bought a la mancha/nubian doe a few years ago. Her mom was a nubian, dad a la mancha. And she had triplets one had ears and the other two had gopher ears.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Both kids have gopher ears and should be 75% LaMancha. They really are cute but the gopher ears are kinda goofy looking since the doelings look like Boers. One is red with a white belt, the other is black with a white belt. The buck is 100% black and white LaMancha. I will put pictures up when I get them home.

8. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    This is the ones I was talking about. Different years but the same sire and dam. Mom is La mancha/boer and Dad is pure Nubian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think its kind of cool to see what comes out when you breed things to la machas.

Id like to see pics of ones you are getting.

50% Nubian, and 50% La mancha

[​IMG]

Same breeding as above but last year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Very cute kids and very different with the same breeding. I will be going to see/get them in the morning and will take pics as soon as I get them settled. They are 4 months old and from the pictures I was sent, they look HUGE.

10. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
  11. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    It is incompletely dominant. All my half LaMancha, half Alpine have elf ears. A mom that is half LaMancha has one gene for the gopher ears and one gene for "normal" ears. So 50% of her offspring get the gene and 50% don't have it. It is like a dwarfing gene, but confined to the ears. If she were bred to a full LaMancha buck, 50% would have elf ears and 50% gopher ears.

12. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I was curious about this since I will probably be using my LaMancha on my does this year. Curious to see what i get if I do stick with that plan.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well I did buy the little girls and they are adoreable. I also bought their mom and a pen mate. I will make another post with pictures.