The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started researching goats LaManchas caught my eye, but I haven't had the opportunity to own one until now. A friend is downsizing and offered his doe.
So my question is is there any special care for a LaMancha? Do their ears need to be cleaned or something? Are they very thrifty and robust?
I'll post pics when I have them.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
146 Posts
My Mini Lamancha’s (elf) ears do get gunky sometimes, I clean them with homemade ear cleaner
1/4c Water
1/8c vinegar
1/8c Hydrogen peroxide
Put this in a spray bottle then spray some in the ear and wipe it with a baby wipe.
Other than that, I can't think of any special care.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Most the time ears are good. I massage just under my girls ears and they love that. If they get gunky I wipe them out gently. A drop of peroxide just at the entrance and quickly massaged back out helps clean a gunky ear. I have dealt one time in 16 years with one getting an ear infection. They are a hardy breed..being the only American Made breed, they handle our bipolar weather in Texas pretty well.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I went to see her today. Pretty bad pictures but maybe you can tell me how she looks conformation wise?
Pros:
I've always wanted a LaMancha
She seems to have good conformation
She was bred for dairy
2 years old so has alot of mileage left on her
Healthy, no concerns there
Maybe Cons: She is a bit pushy. She'll challenge you a few times but once you put her in her place your best buds. Apparently she's a bit bossy with the other goats, but I didn't see any signs of injury on the other goats nor were they scared of her or anything. I guess she's just a little bit aggressive.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
146 Posts
She sure is pretty! And looks to be in good condition. Hard to tell about confirmation from those photos and I’m no expert, but her top line looks pretty good.
Pushy goats (especially big ones) can be challenging to milk/handle, not saying it’s a dealbreaker (after all no goat is perfect) just something to keep in mind when deciding whether to buy her...

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Judging by her ears, she is not purebred as they are elf and not gopher. (gopher ears are just a tiny ring of cartilage) She has a slight roman nose, so it looks like she may have Nubian in her lineage. That would be good for the butter fat! I have Lamanchas: purebred, cross breds (Nubian and Oberhasli crosses) and even Mini Manchas. They are a great breed. The genetics with those ears is funny. I have some that are 7/8s Nubian, but they have those Mancha ears!

Any doe can be pushy, no matter the breed. LOL Usually if you show them you are the boss they will be fine.

Yes, a lot of Manchas need a bit of cleaning to their ears. Just sort of wipe them with a damp towel or baby wipes.

She is pretty and will most likely make a good milker for you. Good luck, hope you get her!

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
I agree with a nubian lamancha cross. Her ears are a tad long for pure bred. And lamancha don't have Roman nose. With that said. Nubian/lamancha cross is a great cross. She has a a bit if sass in her look lol. I bet she will be a fun girl to have around. Just need to establish whose boss.

Reactions: Ella Ruby
1 - 10 of 10 Posts