LaMancha's and horns?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Oct 26, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Ok have a question, why can I not find any pictures of LM with their horns. Is there some reason why they dehorn even the bucks? Is this just for show animals?

I have been searching for a few lamancha does to add to my herd, and ran across 2 problems. First I cannot seem to find lamancha's in my area, and when I do they are very overpriced and secondly they have no horns. Now I do not mind buying a doe without horns if she is gentle, but I could not believe that they even take the bucks horns.

Can anyone explain this, I am really wanting to know.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dairy goats cant be shown with horns so that would include Lamanchas.

Dairy goats horns grow straight up and can be very dangerous.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Yes the horns on the does do go straight up, but not our bucks, they curl around his head. I will get a updated picture today or tomorrow for you. His horns are really gorgeous.

Stacey, thank you. Now the next question I guess I should ask is, is this only for the dairy breeds then. I have a friend that shows Boers in the breeder shows and they do not have to dehorn their animals. But I do know like for the FFA shows that they have to be dehorned.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes for dairy breeds they can not have horns to be shown

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Once again Stacey - thanks. I am planning to go to straight LM in the future and this is one of the things that I guess I should know and this would also explain why I can find no pictures of them with thier horns.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some people do like the horns but it is impractical if you ever plan to show and it limits your abilities to sell them later on

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    I've got LaManchas. I have had a hard time finding photos of them with horns as well, most dairy people who don't show still disbud their kids. There is a photo somewhere on this site of someone's LaMancha doe with horns; forget where and whose it is though.

I choose not to disbud my kids; I prefer the horns on them. I've got a buck, wether, and a doeling with horns, and none of them are aggressive. I can even trust them around my young nieces and nephews; it just takes training from an early age and not encouraging them to butt people even when they're little and it's cute. Living in an area with a ton of predators that will come right up to the house and grab peoples' pets off the back porch, I feel safer knowing my goats have weapons. Unfortunately they can't be shown with the horns, and it may be harder to sell kids with horns.I would love to see that change; maybe they could offer a separate show class for horned goats, or just make it the owner's choice to have them or not. (I'm also not a fan of docking tails on horses or dogs) I am going to have to break down and disbud a couple next year because I want to save some doelings for showing.

Meat goats traditionally have horns left on them, as do packgoats. However, our local fair does not allow ANY goats to be shown with horns. They also do not allow bucks.

Not sure what you mean by 'very overpriced'...good high quality does can go from $200-$1000 each; it's pretty much that way across the country. If you just want that breed and don't care about show conformation, you might find some for a lower price that will be good milkers but just not show-ring quality. Sometimes you find a bargain on them though, especially if you bought them young.

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    What part of Texas are you in? I have a friend with some reasonably priced LaManchas for sale.

9. Well, I will say I agree. I love horns. I think polled are great too, but I love a good horn set. Then again I am a meat breed feller. I am glad it has not been accross the board for meat breeds. I would never be able to show for sure and people would have a lot of work on there hands. I won't disbud I like them too much. I guess I would have to buy polled stock to help with the problem. LOL

10. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I love the horns on my goats, they are so useful. But if we decide to get into show goats then I guess we should dehorn them. Also I guess I should clarify and say that I have mini-mancha's. But I am also looking for full size LaMancha does.

CrossCreak, I am located south of Houston. right now we are looking to just add to our milk herd, at this point I am not interested in show animals. Let me know if she still has some does for sale, if they are reasonable close to me. Thank You!

Just a few old photo's - I will get updated photo's in the next few days, it rained here like crazy yesterday so no pictures.

Camel - taken early this year - his horns now curl around toward his ears
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flower - also taken early this year - her horns are still straight up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Though I can't get over the "no ear" thing with the munchies, I have to say that I do like the looks of them better with horns! Tour munchies are really nice misty!

12. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Your doe Flower looks so much like my Alpine buck in the face! She's cute.

It's nice to see that there's a few other horn fans out there. =)

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I think the horns kinda distract from the fact that they have no ears. :shades: It has taken several people a few minutes to realize they have no ears.

Ariel, Flower is my favorite doe and my best milker. To be a small doe she was given close to 1/2 a gallon a day and she was a FF.

14. archsteve

archsteve New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Lamancha's have very beautiful horns. I honestly don't know how they would be dangerous, its not like they are trying to swipe at us. Even when catching one that needs to get vaccines, there didn't seem to be any risk. Maybe with a small child it could be dangerous. I think the fear is over hyped.

Attached Files:

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I love the horns on goats... it is a radiator in the summer and a cooler in the winter.... you have something to grab them with too...LOL.... :wink: each person has his/her own preference...... on this subject and I respect both.... but I myself prefer... the horns to stay... they are beautiful....God made them with horns and they really should remain that way.....but this is my opinion... :greengrin: .....

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Try placing front hooves in a show ring with a goat that has horns that point due North and you'll soon find out EXACTLY why most dairy goat breeders dehorn. I am not a fan of horns at ALL.... I've seen too many goats injure one another needlessly and a simple disbudding as a kid would've saved injury from ever happening. They are pretty to look at....but domesticated goats don't have the space that most wild goats had...its just not practical to expect them not to injure one another.

I also find it strange that people always think goats are disbudded because of aggression towards people :scratch: very rarely is that the case. Most of the time it is to save them from themselves.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have had boer goats... for many years with horns....... and not one ....was injured from them...... not even my bucks....... so I can't see ...that it is an issue with everyone.... If people like them.... they should keep them..... unless... it is their preference to remove them.... and I respect that..... I didn't mention... the show ring and horns....if they have to be dehorned ....to be able to show them and want to do so....more power to them... Our hotline.... keeps them away from the fence.... so no issues there :wink: :greengrin:

18. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I do think there is less risk of a boer/meat breed, whose horns grow back, of injuring someone/something.

Dairy goats of course grow straight up generally. I'm not adverse to horns, but after untangling does from fences, it made me start thinking.

And then when I got between my favorite doe, Hope, and a lesser goat on accident...well. I now have a nearly four inch scar on my upper thigh. It was extremely painful! Did she mean to do it? Heck no. She's a very careful goat.

But I sell for pets. Soo easy for a kid to get his eye poked out on accident.

I left Hope's horns, because she has proven her worth with them. Indy's were recently removed by banding and I banded Fancy's horns, but I think they need to be redone. I also disbud now

19. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Well, I am going to go against the grain here and say that I prefer goats without horns. It is purely a cosmetic thing for me but I have always had goats without horns. I think that horns would be a big problem for my fencing.