The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to order a kid puller to have just incase before my kids start to arrive in January. I've only had one kid with head back and unfortunately me nor the vet was able to get the kid out in time. After a couple hours we finally did get the kid out dead and ended up losing my favorite doe a day or so later. So I want to be prepared this time. After looking at several sites I've found a few different ones with different prices. Just wondering from people that have actually used one , if they are basically the same or is one better than the other. And where I should order from?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
I have one, the white plastic one. I've sent someone to get it twice, got kids out in time before it arrived...lol. I really need to put it in the birthing box. You slip the "noose" around the head (behind the ears), and slip front feet through too, if you can. With head back position you have to "sweep" your hand behind head and draw forward, put your hand around head behind ears, flatten your hand against head as tight and smooth as possible and pull. Having really good surgical gloves with textured fingers tips, gives you some purchase against the slippery kid. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I have the white plastic one too. I tried to use it once and ended up throwing it to the side and using a hay string . I now just have hay strings in my kit and think the puller was a total waist of money.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I have one and always had it but I have never had to use it or maybe I never though about using it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I've used them. I have both of these items in my kidding kit and they have come in very handy! http://www.enasco.com/product/C13129N http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/O.B.-Leg-Snare.html
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I order the things I might need ,that someone else has actually used. I believe that if myself or the vet would've had something like this , my doe could have possibly been saved. Instead they used big chains for pulling horse foals and then finally used small dog leashes but I think the damage was already done from the chains:(

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
The one we have is cable wire with a loop on each end. Looks very much like a wire saw. There is clear tubing on the loops so you dont cut yourself on the cable but its unlikely you would actually pull hard enough to have that be a worry.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The one we have is cable wire with a loop on each end. Looks very much like a wire saw. There is clear tubing on the loops so you dont cut yourself on the cable but its unlikely you would actually pull hard enough to have that be a worry.
I'm not worried about cutting myself, I just want something that won't damage the doe or kid if I have to use it:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.