Lambing & kidding 2009 complete!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, May 8, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well lambing 2009 is finally over after 1 month total. 30 lambs in total from 15 x 2 year old ewes, with 29 surviving. Total head count was 10 female + 20 male, with 10 female + 19 male surviving.

I don't really mind the bad ratio... I haven't decided whether to keep a couple of ewe lambs as replacements. I have 3 of the ewes on my "last chance" list. I always like to give an animal 2 chances unless it is something irreversible (eg severe mastitis). So the ewe that lambed first with no milk gets a second chance (she came into milk), the ewe that lambed and was weak and her lambs needed to be supplemented the first couple of weeks gets a second chance, and the ewe that lambed last and required the vet trip also gets that magic Second Chance.

I'm very happy with the quality of my lambs this year, I'll see can I get pictures of them in the field but it won't be this week as I have to leave in a few hours for another 5 days of exile (work).

As far as kidding 2009 goes, it was over long ago as I only had one doe to kid, but I may as well comment on it! Demi's 2 babies Java & Mocha are thriving. They were both disbudded on Tuesday and have no side effects, and Java was ringed yesterday and didn't seem overly concerned by the Ordeal (the reason I ringed him early was to avoid the Ordeal).

Thanks to dolansullivan, I have someone interested in buying Mocha once she is weaned. I have sent photos of the baby to her and we will go from there... I will miss her if I do sell her, but I really need the money. . . still hoping Against All Odds (parents) to keep Java.

LW

2. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Brilliant!! I'm glad, - that lady called me looking for a Nubie, as she was getting two from Edward, and wanted to get all at the same time -so they would all get used to their new home together. They are building a special shed just for the 3 goats! Busy here trying to track down hay! Hoping that we can get the dosh together to get our shed up by the end of the year! In the meantime - brown jelly beans and straw and hay everywhere!!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow Bug, you had a wonderful year! Demi babies all healthy and cute and all those little lambies bouncing in the pasture....great job!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on all the healthy new ones and the possible sale :thumb:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy .....it's been a good year for you.... :)

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Congrats on a great year with only 1 casualty! :)