Lambs Diarrhea worms egg count what next?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by odieclark, Jul 2, 2016.

1. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    We purchased lambs at auction in April from multiple sellers, who unfortunately we're not top quality and healthy lambs. We have had some ongoing issues with the lambs to say the least!...not knowing if or what kind of conditions they came from, what type of feed they had, and so on.... But, that is how auctions are!

So, we took them as-is, and felt it important to drench them all with sheep drench right away as we unloaded them. After the 5 day treatment and two weeks, time we felt we were still dealing with cocci and we did lose the one to what appeared to be coccidious. Very sad and painful for the lamb. We then chose to treat them all with Baycox, which appeared to work like a charm!

Obviously, they came with heavy loads of worms, and or high counts of cocci (coccidious), and unsure of all what else but many of them experienced a good amount of diarrhea early on.

However, after about five days the Baycox seemed to kick in and become effective.

However, now nearly two months later, one of the lambs has terribly runny poop! Watery and soft! He is eating, drinking, peeing fine otherwise.

I took in a fecal sample and the vet tested it for us. The vet found NO EGGS in the sample.

So, now what do we do?
  2. deerbunnyfarm

deerbunnyfarm New Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    I would send a fecal sample in to a different lab. Idk how the vet didn't find a single egg unless they did something wrong.

3. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    I thought that was odd too, like NO eggs? They are reputable, unlike the other farms vet-long story!
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Even in diarrhea, eggs aren't shed evenly so it is possible that that particular sample had no eggs. What color is the poo?
  5. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Brownish, not dark brown, but brown