The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with eating lamb or sheep that is about a year old or just over a year?

The situation is we got a lamb we thought from auction in the spring that we thought was under a year old. When we checked his teeth today find that he has one larger permanent tooth on the bottom and either the other one came out or is yet coming in on the bottom. So, as they get the two big teeth after the first year, that means he is over a year old?!

With that, he is not castrated or is not a wether and he is over a year!

So, if we have him butchered does this make him mutton? Old sheep? Bad tasting? Strong tasting?

We could sell him, but don't think we could get much money for him. He could be a breeding lamb as he is a pretty good size Suffolk. Not sure if he is all Suffolk or not, but he is a good size sheep.

Any ideas or experience with a lamb/sheep of this age and having the meat processed? Or other suggestions?...or is it only sausage now?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lamb or sheep meat age for butcher

I would just do regular cuts of meat. If you are too worried then do sausage.
It isn't that we are worried, just more will we like it or not? Likely we can deal with it ourselves, just don't know if it will be more strong tasting, as that is what we were told and read to be the case.

I figure it is one we will just have to keep for ourselves and if it is stronger tasting it will have to be marinated and all the stuff they recommend for older meat/and/or to cover stronger flavor.

I was hoping others had experience with older lamb. He is likely just over a year based on us checking his lower teeth, one permanent in and the other looked like it is still growing in. Kind of like a little kid!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Being that he is not castrated and is over a year I would expect a stronger taste, but I've only eaten mutton/lamb a few times so I'm no pro. Hopefully someone else has more experience.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess we just don't know what to expect. Disappointed as what we thought we got at auction wasn't a lamb, but an older lamb or now one year plus sheep! So... Our experience here is with lambs, raising them to decent weight and butchering young. Love the meat!

On the farm we are raising lambs for breeding and hope to have lambs in the spring!

We do like the ground, but think that would be a bit heavy on the ground! I am guessing he is 120-140 pounds now

·
Registered
276 Posts
We finally got around to butchering our ram lamb earlier this year. He was intact and just over a year old as well. We butchered and cut all the meat off the bone, then sent it to the butcher to all be ground up. It was delicious lamburger! We didn't try any normal cuts though, just ground it all up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts