Lambs with Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by odieclark, May 4, 2016.

1. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I am looking for help on treating lambs that were purchased and have diarrhe.

I posted on a different thread, somewhat random info, however two lambs that are brothers were purchased at an auction...apparently, were very sick before purchase, but looked great walking through the ring...clean, no runny poop on legs or tail area...

Sadly, one of the two didn't make it. He purchased several lambs from an auction(unfortunately not the best source, for health and quality..).

Before putting them in a new clean and never used grassy pen, with deluxe homemade accommodations, He treated each lamb with sheep drench based on their actual weights, as a precaution. Once he noticed the runny poop in the brothers, and less than perfect in a few of the others, began dosing with corrid for a 5 day treatment, which just completed today. (The day the brother died)

After seeing them just a few hours ago see that some may still have runny poop.

How long does this take to go away?

2. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd be taking a fecal sample in to the vet. Could also be bacterial. But just diarrhea as a symptom could be so many things.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree...a fecal will let you know if this is a worm issue and what worm you are dealing with and if the corid did its job...the herd is not doomed...sounds like you are on top of it!!...new foods and fresh graze can also cause loose stool...I would dry lot them if possible...sheep arent a huge fan of hay ( at least mine arent) but the bland diet can help...

restoring flora in their gut is helpful as well..probiotics or yogurt/milk kiefer will help with that...keeping them hydrated is important and I would get everyones temp to see what their body is doing...normal range for sheep is 101-103

5. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Pro bios yogurt and emotions or mental health of lamb

Strangely they love our hay?!? Should we take it away or limit them? I am afraid to suggest and change their diet too drastically, but want them to feel and get better!

So the probios I have I will post. Should I mix it with yogurt? How do I give this to them? How can I assure all get some? Does the yogurt have to be plain?

I think I can get a fecal sample, I saw a demo online and can probably accomplish that! Plus. They see me and they poop!

We also have some extras that we purchased of selenium gel and copper bolus that we had purchased for some goats,

are these appropriate?

Sorry for all the questions, I am very concerned for them.

Is it possible for the lamb who is the brother to become depressed? I am very concerned he is sad? Is that possible? He is moping and sitting where his brother sat and this alive brother really stuck by him! It was SO TOUCHING! I have Never witnessed anything so emotionally moving with animals as this! I can't even type all now, as my eyes sting with tears thinking about it! Now, seeing him sit there, truly tugs at my heart! Plus I am concerned for his physical health h as well-& now his emotional/mental health!

If anyone has experience with the EMOTIONS of the animals, we would love to learn what we can do to help!

6. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Oh the pro bios we have- how do we use these for the lambs?

Attached Files:

7. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Hay used

We bought this from the farm and this is what the test results were for the hay

Attached Files:

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Strangely they love our hay?!? Should we take it away or limit them? I am afraid to suggest and change their diet too drastically, but want them to feel and get better!
    let them have all the hay they want...its good for the rumen

So the probios I have I will post. Should I mix it with yogurt? How do I give this to them? How can I assure all get some? Does the yogurt have to be plain?
    you can mix with yogurt and dose to each one

I think I can get a fecal sample, I saw a demo online and can probably accomplish that! Plus. They see me and they poop!�� YEP!!! lol

We also have some extras that we purchased of selenium gel and copper bolus that we had purchased for some goats,

are these appropriate?
    Selenium is ok..no copper

Sorry for all the questions, I am very concerned for them.
    No worries...Im happy to help any way I can

Is it possible for the lamb who is the brother to become depressed? I am very concerned he is sad? Is that possible? He is moping and sitting where his brother sat and this alive brother really stuck by him! It was SO TOUCHING! I have Never witnessed anything so emotionally moving with animals as this! I can't even type all now, as my eyes sting with tears thinking about it! Now, seeing him sit there, truly tugs at my heart! Plus I am concerned for his physical health h as well-& now his emotional/mental health!
    Yes, they can become depressed...extra TLC and some B complex can help?

If anyone has experience with the EMOTIONS of the animals, we would love to learn what we can do to help!..extra TCL, lavender ES can help and B complex
    odieclark is offline Add Infraction for odieclark Report Post IP

9. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Selenium and b complex & pepto

I was able to give the probiotics sprinkled on the grain-they took it in pretty well!

So working on the rest of the issues, but wondered about the pepto?

I have the tablets only right now, if I crush them could I put them In With yogurt and drench them? Or should I just go get some liquid?

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you can give pepto tablets...yes, I would crush them. I would think Liquid is better since it coats the tummy too..

11. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    So it seems as if the lambs are improving!
    At this point we wondered if after completing the corid 5 days individual treatment should we add corid or something else to the water as an ongoing preventative or something else as an ongoing?

What do you use? Sulmet or ?

Do you put preventative in goat or lamb kid waters?

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have never used either as a preventive...I would treat as needed to avoid resistance...SO happy everyones improving

13. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Lambs improving

I feel the same way, especially after seeing them come around now. As we really knew so little about where they came from, their diets, and coming from several different locations,... It was complicated figuring it all out.

Thank you for all of your help and insight! Everyone has been so helpful!:type:

14. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Diarrhea in lambs Cocci treatments

Thanks everyone! I have been reading a great deal about poop (poop tells us a great deal!),
    lately and posted some of what I have been looking at and trying to figure out for the future treatments needed and also if/when we need to treat again, or run into these problems again...

The link/forum here- with great help from Karen and others!...
    http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/cocci-preventative-186893/index3.html#post1985439

Entitled Cocci Preventative

The interest I have in Baycox is the one time treatment, which after having to chase these scared lambs for 5 days, my husband needing to have surgery on his arm(after trying to catch the last one)...ugh, ONE DAY to dose, sounds wonderful!

A photo of the lambs relaxing now!

Next photo, I have to share, as it is so funny! A gift he received, a note from the lamb! :wahoo:

Attached Files:

15. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Ok, laugh away! So, it says,
    SORRY, MARK! MY B-AA-AA-AA-D
    With the lamb photo in the middle of a ceramic coaster!

(see the little lamb did damage to Mark's arm, requiring surgery when he tried to catch little lamb for a second to last dosage of Corrid.

Fortunately, it appears the Corrid was needed and it worked...hoping so!

Attached Files:

16. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Preventative no, diahrea soft stools abd sadness

Seems like they are improving, as no one has the crazy runny poo any longer! Phew! Still softer in some and dirty hocks, but maybe that takes time?

But, you were right I the brother being sad or depressed in losing his brother . The brother who survived, always approaches me first, saying MAH!... I think MAH, converts to where is my brother? And, give me a little extra TLC!

This brother was the ultimate in caring for his brother throughout his unfortunate and painful death. They would sit together and intertwine necks, and whenever the sick one moaned, he would always come running to his side to see what was the matter! Heart wrenching :rose::think: so sweet!

If there is anything I can do or we can learn from all this, is what a killer cocci can be and treatment is important!

Prevention, of course key as well... But getting unknown animals, and not knowing anything about their history is tough!

17. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    So these are the two brothers, the one of course, sadly died due to coccidious infection.

Aren't they sweet?!:sleeping::sleeping:

Attached Files:

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

19. odieclark

Jan 21, 2016
    Diahrea and prevention

Thank you! So relieved and hoping we got this issue licked!

I appreciate your help more than you know! Thank you!