Lame Buck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Feb 19, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok, Since Feb 8th Larkspur has been really lame on his right back leg. I have felt the whole thing over really good and I can't find any dislocations, heat, swelling, bumps... nothing! He was limping so bad he was just walking on three feet. Gave him banamine in the a.m. for three days in a row. That seemed to help him out a bit.

This morning(Feb. 19th) he looked lame as ever. Holding the back leg up again and jumping around on three legs. I still can't find anything wrong with it.

Should I wait longer to see if it gets better? More banamine? I could ask the vet but thats like throwing $$$$ out the window. :GAAH:

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Hmmm- thats odd, no cuts or anything between the toes?

What about a dislocation or something farther up? Thats a hard thing to diagnose, if you are really worried about it, it may be worth the vet call. Only reason I say that is, well you remember Panda, when he came he was a bit gimpy and the lady we got him from said he would be fine he just wrenched it, well it was never fine again, his hock joint fused and he was three legged from then on, never in any pain, it just calcified and that was its way of "healing".

I would give him some more banamine if it helped ease the pain before.

Edit to add- I just read that you couldnt feel any dislocation- Im totally stumped and its been going on for a long time, I would get a vets opinion, and quickly. It could be permanant at this point....

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with....ProctorHillFarm....if the goat is not putting weight on it, and you cannot seem to find anything out of the ordinary by yourself.....I to.....recommend taking him to a vet....., some vets can do a feel around and know.. what is up....He may have got slammed real hard in the hip area...have you felt around there?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nothing is fused yet, I felt right up into his hip joint and moved his whole hip around so I am pretty sure nothing is dislocated. I can tell he dosen't like his leg fooled with, but there is nothing obviously wrong with it. I was thinking it might be a hairline fracture somewhere? But no idea where.

When Spice injured her leg my vet just told me to keep her calm and put her on "Stall rest." So I did the same thing with larkspur, but it hasn't really gotten better. Plus, when I had him in the stall by himself he was really unhappy. So with Spice I paid about $200 dollars for the vet to tell me what I would have done anyways. Thats why I haven't called the vet yet with Lark.

5. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I think you need a new vet :angry:
    Kerri is really great- you should try giving her a call- she probably would come out your way

I didnt mean to say it would be fused now, Im just telling you what happened in our situation, that would take a bit of time to happen, certainly not in a week and a half, but I think a week and a half is a long enough time to worry that there is something serious going on.
    I would think a pulled or strained muscle or bruise would be feeling much if not all the way better by now, being on three legs still is not a good sign.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I know I would love a new vet. I tried Kerri. She wont come out this far. :sigh:

Really, all my current vet does is look in the sheep and goat medicine book and tell me what it says. :roll:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    be careful with the banamine...giving it to much can cause stomach ulcers...

Is this buck your breeder buck? If he is... maybe take him in for an xray...it will be well worth it .....if he turns lame permanently ,he may not ...be able to perform and breed your does.....just a suggestion.... :hug:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I WAS BOARDING A GOAT THAT DID THAT FOR A BIT. WE FELT ALL OVER AND HE NEVER MOVED LIKE IT HURT BUT WOULD NOT WALK. WE FINALLY STARTED GIVING ASPIRINS TO HIM TWICE A DAY. I JUST TOOK MY ASPIRINS FROM THE HOUSE AND DISSOLVED THREE IN WATER AND DRENCHED HIM TWICE A DAY AND WE GAVE HIM YOGURT ALSO. HE DID FINALLY GET BETTER AFTER ABOUT A WEEK OF DOING IT. HE MUST OF GOT IT TWEAKED SOMEHOW.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Toth - Yeah, banamine is also really hard on the liver. Thats why I only did it for three days, and I'm not sure if I am going to give it tonight. I will draw it up and see if he actually needs it when I go over to the barn. I may call the vet, just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I do that.

Sweetgoats - What strength of aspirin?

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    It could be a ruptured tendon or ligament. A lot of times when that happens there's no apparent pain or swelling but the animal can't or won't put weight on it.

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    when did you last trim his hooves? Have you checked to see if the hoof is seperating or if there might be something in that. I have a couple that will limp after trimming - cause you know I am a big meanie to them and they need more attention.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I trimmed his hooves the day I noticed he was lame. I figured since I had him out I would trim them up and see if I could see any problems. Everything looked fine. I looked between his toes and checked all over his foot for issues. Also, his feet weren't overgrown or anything, I had probably trimmed them two weeks before he went lame.

I think it's from fighting with the other bucks, but they have never hurt each other like this before.

13. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i had the same thing happen here
    gave pen
    rubbed with linoment
    nothing
    called vet
    he had thrush
    treat with Dthrush for 3 days straight
    and treat the whole herd to be on the safe side

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know i really do not know. I just got what was on the shelf. Matter of facet I believe we started with HORSE asprin and he would not take it so we went to the asprin from the cabinet.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I ended up giving him some banamine and some Vitamin C. I will get some aspirin tomorrow. I don't keep any in the house since I'm allergic.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OK ...keep us updated..... :greengrin:

18. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I hope he bounces back fast for you. Hope its nothing major and he's over it quickly. Keep us posted.

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    He's still lame, but doing better.