The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a better look at my nubian does foot issue. Candy has been lame off and on since the previous owner had her. She was treated with koppertox as interdigital dermatitis or hoof scald. Since ive had her this is the WORST she has ever been. Ive been treating her with wonder dust and Naylors hoof and heel. She isnt getting better. Im not really sure what this is but it looks like her hoof is separating from the skin. Can anyone please tell me what this is and how to treat it?

ForumRunner_20130710_194610.jpg

ForumRunner_20130710_194626.png

ForumRunner_20130710_194658.jpg

Attachments

·
2,377 Posts
Oh Golly.. I don't know what that is. I would soak it in a salt bath (epsom) then I would rub some NuStock all up in and over that. Not sure if that is the right thing to do but it would be my first option. I think NuStock is about 70% Sulfur so, it just may kill staph bug in there. It is at some ranch stores. It has solved a lot of problems here for us. There could have at first been a sticker that got infected. I have been told that there is a gland between the toes that can get aggravated when hooves toes rub and get sore or infected, but I havent found any sure proof on that info. You can mix NuStock with a bit of mineral oil too if it is too thick.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Humm...looks like a very raw rash??? Hard to tell...I think I would wash and dry it well and put an antibiotic cream on it...it doesnt look to be a seperation to me, more like its being ate away...the skin above the rawness looks red and swollen as well..? leg mites perhaps...?? hopefully some one will pop on who can tell better than me lol..

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I would do the sulfur as well, I think get it to start drying up and try and heal. I really have no clue what it is but if it is a mite they claim that iodine will kill them if you just pour right onto them. I had one that had leg mites (long stupid story) I put ivormectin right on it, but with that sore I WOULD NOT do that and try the iodine.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
That looks like Strawberry Hoof rot. It's a fungus. I treat it with Fight-Bac spray. Be aware though that once an animal is prone to it, they get it easier later. Her feet must have a chance to dry completely every day.

·
2,377 Posts
The Iodine will sting badly for a time. The sulfur will only a bit and it stays right on the wound. It also will kill any fungus, mites or/and staph. It is also an ointment. Iodine has a way of killing the skin tissue as well leaving it more aggravated and will not have a continuous action like an ointment. If you use iodine there is an ointment form of it and it is a dark drawing salve ointment. It is called 'prid' -Very thick- I have bought it at walmart before in a tiny old fashioned round tin. There is a livestock version of this too and I forget the name of it but it is less painful to use and is in a thick ointment. The Nustock will stay on the sore and still going to be the easiest, quickest treatment. It also has mineral oil and pine oil in it but the sulfur in it is a high percentage that will treat just about anything in that wound and heal it up very fast.

·
2,377 Posts
Looks like a fungus.. with a secondary infection. I still vote NuStock. Iodine will sting but will kill bacteria.. not sure it will kill a fungus like a sulfur will.

·
2,377 Posts
Oh.. and I have the Naylors hoof and heal. There isnt anything in the ingredients strong enough to kill a staph or a stubborn growing fungus. It is more like a preventative med for mild stuff. It mostly has zinc in it which isnt a bad thing.. just not strong enough to kill what is already growing in the hoof.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have some improvement on Candys wound. She is definatly not as lame this morning. I haven't been able to find nustock locally so ive been using the blu kote. So hopefully a few more days and she wont be lame anymore and I can focus on treating her wound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts