The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nubian doe has been lame off and on for some time. She was the same with the previous owner. I was told it was hoof scald/rain scald. I have trimmed her feet and she has no signs of hoof rot. In between her toes where the hoof meets her hairline.....or lets say coronet band. In there I found a cracked spot that is pink. Its moist. No smell. I trimmed in between her toes to get some separation away and trimmed the heels on the inside to get a better look. Im not sure if it has to do with all the rain we are haveing. And im not sure what it is, what's causing it or how to treat it. Ive been using iodine. Today I used some peroxide and squirted it in there with a needle and on the hoof. Some parts inbetween the sole and hoof wall was bubbleing. I also used a weak bleach water solution. Maybe you know what this could be and how I can treat it?

·
Super Moderator
83,660 Posts
She needs to be kept off the wet ground, so she can heal. Hooves like that need to be kept dry and treated with the iodine and a tooth brush. I would scrub the oozing area. Does she have a wound where it is oozing, if so, it should be flushed daily. Hoof rot is nasty and loves staying wet. :(

Glad you trimmed away all you can, if there are any walls created and tearing away from the hoof wall, trim the pocket off and scrub that area with a tooth brush.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thats how I noticed it. It looks like where the hair meets the hoof on the inside between the toes have a cut or like separating in the area. Its maybe a half inch long.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think its hoof rot. Its on the soft parts between the toes. The hooves have no signs of rot anywhere.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks toth.....I was gonna use koppertox. I havent been able to find copper sulfate in smaller bags or containers. But im pretty sure is scald. Cause its the skin between the toes. Mostly her left front.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not improving. Looks the same been treating it with wonder dust and naylors hoof and heal. She is very lame now. What does it look like? Wonder if I should use like blue kote and an antibiotic like la200 or penicillin?

·
Registered
31,010 Posts
Goathiker mention on your other post that it could be a fungus..strawberry fungi or somehting like that lol..you might try an antifungle on it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts