The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nigerian dwarf goat, about 3 years old, who holds his front right foot off the ground when he first gets up from resting. After he walks around a while, it improves, and he seems to set it firmly on the ground. His hooves tend to grow extremely fast, and that one got out of control last year. I have been trimming it back, and it now looks pretty good, although a little misshapen, and it does not seem inflamed, although, the side is cracked. Does his lameness necessarily have to be his hoof, or could it be his knee joint? He tends to get up from resting on his knees, instead of on his feet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does his lameness completely resolve with movement? If it does, that sounds like arthritis to me. How old is the crack? Do you hear cracking from his foot when he walks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, pretty much, until he lies down again for a while. Yes, I do hear cracking when I lift his foot to trim the hooves. He leans heavily on his front feet while pressing his back feet against their shelter in order to launch himself in butting matches with the other goat. (This is a game with them, I think). I wonder if it puts stress on the joint.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It could be from an old injury due to his hooves getting too long or from playing. Bucks and wethers are pretty rough and tumble. You can give him real aspirin at 81mg per 10 lbs for pain and stiffness. The cracking is the rough cartilage sliding against the joint, whether his knee or pastern. Poor fella. I know that there are some herbal pain managers from Fir Meadows but I haven't ever used them, if they work it would be better than giving him aspirin every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts