The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6mo old goat that has lost weight and as of today will not stand but only walk on his knees. He has been wormed and does not have a fever. I did trim his front hooves today. Any ideas of what could be going on?

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
What is his temp? Did you do a fecal first before worming? What exactly did you worm him with and at what dose? Do you have a good loose goat mineral out free choice for him?

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
I would begin by giving him BoSe or Selenium Vit e gel...and B complex

Do you have white tail deer in your area?
are his knees swollen ?
doe she seem in pain?
Is he getting over any kind of infection?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the vet came out today. He is anemic which is causing the lameness and it was all due to the wormer I was giving him. Thank y'all for your help:)

·
Registered
30,639 Posts
poor guy..good job getting a vet out to see him...I find Ivomec plus or Valbazen to be a good choice since they both kill liver fluke..my as well cover all bases if you have to worm, often the Barpole egg and Liver fluke egg are mistaken for eachother, so treating for both is a good idea.

For anemia I use red cell 6 cc per 100# double day one dose the dose reg. for a week then once a week until color is better
Daily Vit B 12 shots to help rebuild red blood cells along with high protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves
mix 50/50 acv and dose 20 cc daily to speed recovery of anemia..

Best wishes!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like Coccidiosis to me. I would have fecal done ASAP. Vet will prescribe Baycox or something similar or you can order it online at horseprerace.com. Get the liquid. Dosage is 1cc per 5#. Also inject with Iron 200 because the weakness is probably caused from anemia. Cocci is a killer so you should act quickly. Also give sugar in the form of molasses or honey. Pedialyte or Gatorade mixed with water will help with electrolytes and energy. Good luck and keep us updated! Also if diarrhea occurs give 5-6cc of pepto.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily it's not cocci, no runs which is good. He's getting iron supplement some treats alfalfa blocks and plenty of hay for now. Everything is looking good and he is getting stronger now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts