Laminitis, Lymes Disease or???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by capriola-nd, Aug 13, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    My aunt was recently given a super, super nice buck. He was given to her because he has swollen knees, what looks like laminitis in his rear hooves (like a foundered horse his previous owner said). All he basically does is eat, sleep, and lay around. He obviously is not very comfortable (because of not standing) but his eyes do not reflect pain. You can tell when a goat is in pain and he does not act like that.

He does not have a temperature, he has been tested repeatedly for CAE - always came back negative. He was also raised on CAE prevention. His previous owner just wanted him to be euthanized but my aunt is a softy and works at a veterinary clinic so has access to medicines, etc. She wanted to treat him using homeopathics.

I'll ask her to get some pictures of his hooves. His right side has the most trouble. His right front knee is more swollen and right rear leg he does not like to put much weight on. His hock bothers him. We worked with him today - stretching his right rear leg back, doesn't bother him, he just doesn't like weight on it.

Anybody ever seen anything like this before? We were looking in the homeopathic book and it said sometimes buck housed in small areas and fed a high-calcium diet can develop symptoms just like these, so we are using homeopathics to try and treat in that way now. . . . Any thoughts?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Gosh - I have never heard of it - but please let me know. The first thing that I thought was CAE - but you answered that! :wink:

Lyme disease you would see very fast paralysis (at least we did in dogs and cats). The little guy probobly would not be alive if that was it.

I am stumped.... but I will think about it!

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    we had a pygmy kid that had something like that once, he conldn't stand at all though. he had a bacterial infection in his joints

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my grandmoms dog had Lyme and the vet said he probably had it for years --- so not all cases are immediate paralysis but Allison I am sure you have seen more cases of it then I have but i had to throw that recent experience in there for reference :shrug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacey - you are correct - there are always exceptions to the "norm" and thank you for pointing that out.

Did they do a lyme test on grandma's dog? Has the little buckling had the test for Lyme? I would be curious to see what a CBC / Chem showed on him to see if there is an infection going on in there!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes he tested very high for lyme and whatever another tick born disease was (forgot the name) he unfortunatly just passed away last Thursday (we took him to the vet on Monday where we got the dianosis) but he lived a really good life previous to that. he was 13 years old

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    No, he has not. I'll ask my aunt if she can get that done. Would you really see these symptoms w/ Lymes disease? I can hardly find any information on it. . . . only in relation to dogs & cats.

8. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    any possibility it is from naval ill joint? I have a sheep that was born in a filthy livestock dealer's barn. He had asked me if I wanted it as the mother didn't have any milk. I hate that when he does that, because if I don't take it, they just let it die. So brought home this cute little cheviot ewe - she was filthy; she ended up with an eye infection, which I assumed was pink eye - but it turned out she was too young for pink eye and she had gotten an eye abrasion. She became totally blind in that eye. After about a year and a half (she is the sweetest sheep I own) I noticed her joints were swollen and the vet said she probably had naval ill joint from when she was born and it affects them like that. I kind of thought they got infected with that and died. But she acts pretty much the same way - just lies around and is stiff when she walks. She loves to go into the yard to eat and does quite well that way. I don't have the heart to put her down as she's quite content (as long as the others don't pick on her). Some days the joints are very swollen, but right now they're not as bad but you can still tell there is swelling. Banamine is what I give her when she's having a bad time.

9. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    We have a doe we foundered this year. She didn't have it in her knees but all 4 feet were affected. The hooves were warm to the touch and she had swelling in all 4 legs. When she would stand she would shift her weight between her feet. She was in obvious pain. We had her on supportive care and trimmed her feet every week. We got to the point of putting her down because of the pain. We ended up putting her on some herbals and now she trots around her pen and we have to chase her back. A friend of mine had a doe that got lyme but her only symptom was that she couldn't maintain her body temp. Her temp. would drop below 100 everyday. Check his feet and see if they feel warm. With founder their feet grow really fast especially the front ones. It could be he had injured his front feet and his knees are swollen from being on them that much. Hope you can find the answer and help him.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just thought I'd give a little update that Lion King had to be put down the other day. My aunt took him into the vet she works at for x-rays and his knees were all terribly calcified. . . . not able to correct. She couldn't imagine him making it through a cold winter so just did what she thought was best. He was tested about 4+ times for CAE, always negative. She drew blood before he went and was going to run a couple more tests.

We have a buck sired by Lion King, Roy-Roy - she asked if I would check his range of motion on all four legs and see if this was genetic. I am wondering if he was fed too high of a calcium diet and it was just too far gone when she got him??? I have no idea. :shrug: Anyways, just to let you all know what happened.

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh, sorry to hear that. That must have been tough to put him down. Did she get some good kids out of him I hope, before he passed?

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    He's had a lot of kids. We have a son and he has several daughters. He bred two of my aunt's does, OTR Juniper's Guinevere and Mountain Ques Cinnamon Swirl, so hopefully they settled successfully.

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That's good. I would feel sick if one of my bucks passed before he got a chance to "go to work" and produce some nice kids for me.