laminitis

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Oct 25, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    so..

My goats have been on their normal feed for 5 months now and are looking great, went to the feed store, and they were out, so..i got some C.O.B...big mistake, I slowly introduced it and mixed with the remaining normal feed, all was well until two days ago, two were holding their left front foot in the air, and yesterday another started. I checked all hooves and they were all in great condition and had been trimmed a few weeks ago. these three are the only out of 13 that have exhibited symptoms..all others are still acting fine.

I cut all grain out to all of the goats, gave probiotics to the affected goats, all goats are still on the high quality timothy and brome hay as usual. the effected goats dont have the 'hot' feet along the coronary band that is usual with founder according to the link below.

i know founder (laminitis) is a Calcium:phosphorous problem, usually with hot feeds like corn..which is in the cob. and that feeding grain w/o hay or any roughage will cause founder... heres a link i found.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/founderingoats.html

so my question is...how do i treat this? i've been researching the heck out of founder..and to no avail. these goats sure know how to keep me on my toes :roll: :oops: and the pig whose a week past due. :hair:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you want ot keep them walking and dont let them lay down for to long period or they can go off their feet totally.

Thats my only experience with founder

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah. thats what my friend said, theyve been normally active..running to get hay in the morning and butting heads with all of the others like normal. :roll: but while theyre eating they start to lift up their front left feet again. hopefully it will keep getting better, so i can introduce their normal feed again.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm......you had mentioned... you recently trimmed them?. maybe stone bruising.?...if you have wet or damp conditions... it keeps the hoof soft ...could be ....they are sensitive...to rocks and other objects? Just a thought... as they are not showing heat on there hooves....for laminitis.... Also sometimes they get sticks and other things between there toes....that when they walk it pokes into them as they try to walk... :wink:

Hopefully it isn't Laminitis.... How much cob did you feed them?

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    interesting pam...that could be it.. most of their pen is dry ...but theres one low spot, where they stand when the sun first comes up so they can sunbathe :roll:

i guess I'll go back and really check it out... :thumb:

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how are your goats Katrina? Hope they are doing well... :hug:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    2 out of the three ar back to normal...no pain at all. but one doe (who probably ate the most) is still limping on that foot. I'll keep the grain back until theyre 100% then reintroduce their normal feed

been really busy here...our sow had 13 piglets on sunday!! :love:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    13 WOW!......is that usual for them to have that many?.....I bet they are sooooo cute!

Glad to hear goats are doing better!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    well at least ...they are improving .....that is a great sign...... :hug:

13 piglets...woe :shocked: that is a big litter..........congrats.... :greengrin:

11. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

That doesn't sound like laminitis to me. It sounds more like stone bruising or a foreign object being stuck in their hooves. I know at least with horses it is less what the horse is fed and more how much and, sugars in the grasses, and of course a natural predisposition to founder/laminitis. For the record, they are not the same thing. An animal cannot founder without first having laminitis, but you don't need to founder to have laminitis. My two pygmies are on a goat ration, mixed grain with corn (no molasses) and have been since we got them plus grass hay (changing that this weekend, will be mixing their regular hay with the new hay) with no issues. That reminds me, I need to trim the younger does feet... I broke my hand shortly after and she must have some wickedly long feet by now.

12. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

To add to my comment, laminitis shouldn't/won't clear up in a matter of days. At least in horses, it may take weeks before the horse is sound on the affected hooves again, and many months of corrective trimming. Given that they have now had a few days to settle into their newly trimmed feet, it could just be that you trimmed a little short, stone bruises, etc. With horses, some get sore after a trimming, and will get especially sore if trimmed a little short by accident.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well theyre all better, except ruby (FB) who still limps on the same foot, no foreign objects, cuts etc. Her feet, and all of my other goats' hooves are in great condition. They are back on regular feed and hopefully she get better.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Darn..... I wish everyone was doing better.... :hug:

but glad most are better.. :greengrin:

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah its really annoying watching her limp..she doesnt seem to be in pain...looks like it annoying her too though

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hmmm...that is strange for sure... :( .... Maybe someone slammed her on the leg or someone hooked her leg up in their horns and tweaked it.... when you weren't lookin.... she may have a injury instead of a hoof problem... :hug:

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ugh, I hope not.

but since she's keeping her weight off it...she should heal?

This is her the day after I got her. ;) Ruby
    [​IMG]

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The image didn't come through Katrina.... :( .... if it is an injury... it does take quite a while.....but should heal...if she doesn't walk around on it much......but... if she isn't baring any weight on it ..at all ...it may be broke.... :( :hug:

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she is pretty... :love: ..I bet ..she is even nicer now... since you first got her.....I know you take great care of your goaties :love: :greengrin:

Her limping can be caused ...by so many things.....I hope she gets better soon... :hug: