The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I think my daughter's full blood LaMancha, Minnie, has laminitis. The front hooves have been odd for a long time - much taller from the coronary band to the walking surface than the rear hooves and they are rounder in shape than normal hooves. They also grow like nobodies' business. I didn't think I fed excessive grain... She is a dairy goat. 2 years-old. Great body score. Lovely coat - even in winter. She gets grass hay twice a day and she's the herd queen, so she gets as much as she wants. ;-) She also gets Replamin plus once a week, loose Sweetlix minerals avaiable at all times. And we give copper every 4-6 weeks because our water is awful. For grain she gets 3 little yogurt scoops of Blue Seal Premium Goat feed twice a day. That has kept her body condition perfect.

I have made the decision to work on her hooves once a week - every Tuesday. She is NOT walking on her knees. But her feet so seem to bother her. I can put up photos tomorrow.

What else can I do to help her?

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And so, I've done a bunch of research and reading. I would say she DOES have mild laminitis. However, NONE of the articles I've read have been very helpful about how to treat it. She is not in pain, just "awkward". and there's no heat or infection. So I don't see a need for banamine or antibiotics.

I'm very reluctant to cut her grain since her body condition is perfect and she's a newly pregnant dairy goat. And our hay is not the best. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate it as a 6-7 for nutrition. The grain is a 17% protein which is what I've always done for my herd...

So help me out, folks. Besides diligent trimming and observation, what should I do?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I read that soaking her feet in ice water will help reliever some of her pain if she is feeling any. In most cases their feet get hot and grow like nobodies business so when you soak them it is suppose to help relieve pain. That's just my opinion. I still fed my girl oats and it didn't make things worse.

·
Registered
29,936 Posts
Its good you caught it before she was bad enough to walk on her knees. I have a doe that founders easy.. Frequent hoof trims are a must to stay ahead of the growth. I have to use horse nippers to trim Emmies. Her hooves are like tree trunks. We do not over feed our goats and she is the only one ever to give us problems. She only gets hay and chaffhaye and she may steal oats but not much. We do not feed her grain on the table..only a handful of chaffhaye.
Sadly removing grain..or what ever caused the founder..like Rich pasture is needed. Emmie has retained her condition and is on 2 years being milked..as we wont rebreed her again.
So we cut or reduce grain..frequent trims..banamine and cold.water epsom salt soaks if inflammation and pain is present. Emmie is high maintenance.

I have a thread on here from some time back when we discovered the founder.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its good you caught it before she was bad enough to walk on her knees. I have a doe that founders easy.. Frequent hoof trims are a must to stay ahead of the growth. I have to use horse nippers to trim Emmies. Her hooves are like tree trunks. We do not over feed our goats and she is the only one ever to give us problems. She only gets hay and chaffhaye and she may steal oats but not much. We do not feed her grain on the table..only a handful of chaffhaye.
Sadly removing grain..or what ever caused the founder..like Rich pasture is needed. Emmie has retained her condition and is on 2 years being milked..as we wont rebreed her again.
So we cut or reduce grain..frequent trims..banamine and cold.water epsom salt soaks if inflammation and pain is present. Emmie is high maintenance.

I have a thread on here from some time back when we discovered the founder.
Dang it! I thought we finally had an easy keeping LaMancha. I'll see about getting some chaffhaye and slowly switch her over. Last time we tried chaffhaye all my goats got diarrhea... So I'll go really slow!! Would it be worth trying a lower protein grain?

·
Registered
29,936 Posts
You can use what ever alfalfa source she used to. We have used chaffhaye along time. I do like the fermentation of it for digestibility. But yes if you go that route...start slow.
For my girl...no feed at all works best. You can try a lower protien or just cut back some see how she does. If things don't improve then cutting grain all together will be best.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMG_7033.jpg
IMG_7035.jpg
This is her worst hoof. It is crazy tall!!! It definitely was causing her pain this morning, so I did give her banamine. Believe it or not, I just trimmed this 2 days ago. I would have trimmed it more today, but it really hurt her when I was trying to hold it up. When I trim on Tuesday I'll give her some banamine 1/2 hour beforehand.

And we had it wrapped in vet wrap. So how the heck did she get all that mud packed in there???

We've started cutting her grain back...

·
Registered
29,936 Posts
Horse nippers are my best friend with Emmies hooves. Those thick walls can be misshapen and super hard. I have my son cradle her legs so she's comfortable while I do quick work on them. Banamine 30 minutes before does help as does soaking them before trimming.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got her in today for her 2nd laminitis trim. She was such a good girl. I was able to make a lot of progress. The front hooves are still way too tall, but I was able to take them down at least 1/4 " and got them nice and level. At this rate, we should have normal looking hooves in 4-6 weeks. Right now I'm feeding her a wee bit of alfalfa hay and lots of grass hay, No grain.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Can y'all take her for a walk on gravel or asphalt 1-2 times/day? There's nothing like movement and abrasion to help bad hooves. The movement really increases circulation, which in turn helps heal hoof damage and encourages them to grow down properly. The abrasion does a bit of natural trimming which is less work for you, and also less likely to result in lameness than hoof trimmers. It also provides a chance for wet hooves to dry out for a while each day (important this time of year!). Finally, burning extra calories is important for correcting the metabolic issues that caused the laminitis to occur in the first place. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Can you give her some cayenne and turmeric? Cayenne helps circulation and turmeric helps inflammation. Remus’s (ND wether I have) Chiropractor recommended them to me when he was having shoulder/knee problems. I used human capsules mixed in treat balls made of PB, oats and cornmeal with a touch of blackstrap.
It seemed to help him maybe it’ll help your girl.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you give her some cayenne and turmeric? Cayenne helps circulation and turmeric helps inflammation. Remus's (ND wether I have) Chiropractor recommended them to me when he was having shoulder/knee problems. I used human capsules mixed in treat balls made of PB, oats and cornmeal with a touch of blackstrap.
It seemed to help him maybe it'll help your girl.
I have LOTS of turmeric and a wee bit of cayenne. How much would I give a full sized doe (She's maybe 115 pounds)? How often?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
The turmeric, I’d give her an adult capsule daily with a 1/8th to 1/4 tsp cayenne in treat balls or,. You can mix in a honey water drench if that’s easier. I disolved the human capsules in The drenches when Remus was being fussy.... Remus weighed about 75lbs and I gave him 1tummeric cap and 1/8tsp Of cayenne, so I upped it for your girl. You could use fresh turmeric but I’m not sure how you would dose it. Maybe two quarter size slices would be about right but I’m not positive.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The turmeric, I'd give her an adult capsule daily with a 1/8th to 1/4 tsp cayenne in treat balls or,. You can mix in a honey water drench if that's easier. I disolved the human capsules in The drenches when Remus was being fussy.... Remus weighed about 75lbs and I gave him 1tummeric cap and 1/8tsp Of cayenne, so I upped it for your girl. You could use fresh turmeric but I'm not sure how you would dose it. Maybe two quarter size slices would be about right but I'm not positive.
Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts