Lancing an abscess

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Dec 20, 2009.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    My doe, Venus, has had an abscess below her ear for quite some time. I didn't realize until today how big it has gotten! I had originally thought to let it alone and see if it would open on its own, but it never did and now it's huge. Has anyone ever lanced one of these yourself? I can get a vet to come, but it could be really expensive. I have plenty of antibiotics, bluekote, etc. and can keep her isolated from the others. What do you think? Thanks, Brooke

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The location of the lump is a site for possible CL infection. There will always be speculation but unless its tested you won't know if it is or not. To be absolutely careful by isolating her until you get the lanced abcess dried up would be wise.

If you do lance it, wear gloves and use a paper towel to catch the contents, place in a plastic bag and burn it, flush the hole with iodine and do not let it scab over as it needs to heal from the inside out, keep the flushing up for a week, twice a day and keep her isolated as it is the pus that is infectious to others IF it would be CL. You can send the pus to WADDL for testing.

3. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks for the good advice! Could I use the tip of a sharp knife? I think I also have some granulated spray for drawing out fluids and pus. Eeek. She's a good sized goat, though, and I'm a little concerned about doing this without anesthetic. However, my bf's husband is a dentist, so maybe I could at least give her a shot of lidocaine?

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I definatley wouldn't recommend doing it without someone experienced with you. I would really consider getting the vet involved. But if not, then keep her in a seperate pen. This very well could be CL so you need to be very careful. I agree with Liz...wear gloves, and try not to get the pus on the ground or fencing or anything. You probably aren't goign to want to use a knife. I would think you can drain it with the tip of a large needle. Keep it flushed. But like I said, wouldn't recommend doing it without an experienced person or the vet. :shrug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can use a large needle in the top center of it...most times when an abcess is "ripe" and ready to burst, the top center will lose hair. A needle poke first, then a surgical scalpel blade would open it large enough to encourage healing. KW is right, do not allow any of the pus to touch ANYTHING except the paper towel and when you do flush it, keep a layer of toweling under it to catch run off. Having someone hold her would be very wise, or even get a vet out to do this.....and I will say this, most vets will tell you it "looks" like CL without testing...best way to go would be to have the exudate cultured.

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    CL is so contagious and definitely not somehting you want in your herd...I think you should quarantine her til it's healed... and I agree witht heothers; maybe a vet would be the wisest.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others..... it is a very nasty thing to deal with ...and risky once it is opened... the ooze is very contagious.... and has to be handled in a very safe manner.... Good luck.. :hug:

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    IF you decide to lance the abscess cover the ground with a tarp that can be burned when finished. CL is zoonotic and can pass to you and/or your children. It also stays viable in the soil, on equipment, structures for a very long time(years).

Also the only way to tell if its CL is to have the puss sent in for testing.

9. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Wow. I definitely am NOt GOING to try this myself! I already knew it might be CL and what precautions to take, but had no idea it could be passed to humans. Thanks for letting me know! Yikes! The guy who sold her to me wants to buy her back, but I didn't want to do that with the abscess still there. Although it started right after we got her, so maybe he already has it in his herd. Poor thing, it doesn't seem to bother her but it looks pretty huge. No hair loss at all, that's what I was kind of waiting for.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you feel that it is possibly Cl, and this lump appeared soon after you bought her, then he likely already has it in his herd. Also, if you can, you may be able to see scarring if she has had a previous abcess elsewhere, once the hair is lost from the lump and it ruptures it will leave a scar....check the other side of her face, around the inside top part of her rear legs...close to the top of the udder as well as the soft area near her spine close to her hip...these are common areas that Cl abcesses show up in. The scars will be small bald spots. Stress can cause the lumps to appear sooner than later and the move to your farm could have caused hers to appear so soon. And yes, Cl can be contracted by people, that is why it is very important to take the "surgical" type precautions.