The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just bulldozed 3 acres of land for pasture. I need advice as to what seed to plant for my goats to get the most nutritional Benefit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would suggest looking into grasses that are native for your area, and also clover and vetch. Native grasses will be drought tolerant than Bermuda (which is tehnically an exotic) and will have a longer growing season. Many people mistakenly consider vetch and clover to be weeds but they are actually in the same family as alfalfa, with comparable protein levels. They are also a living fertilizer, which is great for a sustainable Ag operation. Clover and vetch pull carbon dioxide out of the air and store it in root nodules. That mix of clover, vetch, native grass, and a little Bermuda makes great hay too. Gonna be bailing 85 acres of it tomorrow. There's my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
You could always talk to your local extension agent. They will know what native grasses are in your area.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
Deer forage mix. The native grasses will creep in on their own after just a short time. The deer forage gives you everything else you need for a balanced pasture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts