Land of Havilah vs Molly's Herbals

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by FMW, Jul 10, 2020.

1. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I've been posting a lot! I have so much to learn and am gathering as much as I can to "catch up" and help my goats as much as possible.

New question....I've been using Molly's Herbals and thought it was a great maintenance wormer program. Reading a lot about Land of Havilah's now...people seem to rave about that one as well. Would really like to hear from people who use one or both of these herbs. My goal is to use chemical dewormers no more than once a year. Oh, if you can post a direct link to the item on Land of Havilah's website, that would be helpful. There is a lot on that website and want to purchase the right thing.

Do you do fecals if you notice a worm issue and then double or triple the herbals and recheck the fecals to confirm if the worms have decreased in number? Does anyone do fecals pre- and post- herbal deworming?

I am in the process of purchasing a microscope. Don't know which slides to purchase or which kit with the microscope. I'll add those questions in a different thread. More than welcome to hear your responses on this thread as well :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Dose preventively weekly and if a fecal comes back bad or if there’s a problem give it double or triple dose twice a day for 3 days.

I am really not a fan of Molly’s, not at all, here’s why:

1. The lack of ingredients. Compare it to the leading blends and it’s like comparing water to soup.

2. The dosing is not frequent enough. I believe it’s what, once a week for one formula, and every 6 weeks for the other? Something like that. The weekly formula has pretty much nothing in it - the less frequent one is the good one, but that’s what should be given weekly.

Sometimes I give my wormer every other day - it doesn’t stay in the system for long!!

I recommend Land of Havilah’s Parasite Formula or the two (DWA and GI Soother have to be used together) from Fir Meadow LLC.

I would say LOH’s is superior, smaller dosing than Molly’s, super efficient and the most budget friendly!!

https://landofhavilahfarm.com/loh/product/parasite-formula/

Essential oils are also incredibly helpful to boost herbal dewormers:

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/using-essential-oils-to-worm.188848/

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have never used Mollys but do use LOH. I have been very happy with the results here especially now with the new improved formula. When new to the herbs its good to give a running start then I give weekly. I send in fecals a few times a year or when I feel there is a problem. Last fecal my girls were in excellent shape. I use meadowmistlabs for fecals and she charges $5 a sample. very reasonable. I also use ess. oils weekly especially including wild orange which has been proven to destroy the worm eggs. The link given above explains all that. LOH also has a blend called Back on Track which is worth having on hand. Good for gut issues. Her herbamins is also excellent LOL.

4. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I will have to read up on how to use essential oils with the herbals. Interesting.... When you say a running start, do you mean giving herbals every other day or double or triple dosing the animal? How do you administer the herbals? Can I place it into their feed or make worm balls?

5. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I would like to finish off Molly's herbals, but feel a bit disappointed about some of the negative reviews. I thought lots of people found it beneficial and have done fecals to prove its efficacy.

6. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I definitely want to try the LOH though. I need to learn more about it and develop some comfort navigating through its website.

happybleats likes this.
  7. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    If you use LOH, do you have a need to use a chemical dewormer? If you do, how often have you needed to use it? I am very interested in these answers because I really want to use any chemicals as little as possible. We rotate a lot and work hard to minimize the need, and yet, we have had to deworm using Safeguard.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I left the link to LOH.

This may wow you but I’ve never used a chemical dewormer, treated stomach worms and coccidia and more all naturally with various things.

9. FMW

FMW Member

Jun 30, 2020
    I am wow-ed. Are the natural options you use for your goats on that website as well? Does the herbal cover coccidia too? I have three kid goats and have done nothing with them so far. Not even Molly's herbals. I need to start them on something asap. 3 month old Nubian doeling, hoping to breed in Dec/Jan, her twin wether, and a Nigerian Buck that is 2.5 months old - we call him the stud.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The LOH parasite formula covers coccidia, but the addition of quality essential oils such as cinnamon, OnGuard, or thieves, is super helpful!!

I like to include garlic, pumpkin seeds, oak leaves, and essential oils on top of my herbal mix.

happybleats likes this.
  11. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Please rethink breeding the doeling until next fall! They grow and mature SO much in that extra bit of time. It is almost like babies having babies. :/. Yes some people do it and have good results but waiting that extra time gives those bodies and bones and just brain cells time to grow to their potential much better. By kidding so young it take a LOT out of a doe. She is still growing herself and on top of it you have her growin kids in there as well. Almost two or right at two is a much better time to breed a fb large goat. Even a lot of mini breeders wait until at least 18 months to breed.

I look at pics of my mini nubian doe at a year old and look at her now and she has filled out so much in just the last three months. She was a last year feb kid. Her hips have become more wide as well. There is just no way i would breed my minis or a fb nubian at a year old.

cristina-sorina likes this.