Large belly

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NDinKY, Aug 8, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would wait before dosing dewormers to do a quick experiment - no pasture, just hay - probiotic GEL daily, baking soda available. Flat, room temp, dark beer 4oz.

Can we get a rectal temp on him as well?

Is he like that all the time or only at the end of the day/after eating?

2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’ll try to get a temp on him tomorrow. He’s bigger in the evenings but in the morning he still has a big belly.

Here are pics of him this evening, 24 hrs off pasture with only grass hay to eat. Definitely not as bloated looking. The left side is memory foam squishy. The right side is firmer and bounces back quicker. I tried to get some similar angles for comparison.

164AE00E-3622-4C6C-9A04-EC67C46A0A69.jpeg 01F03F7E-2CC2-46D6-98E2-FC0B966C9DF4.jpeg 6FF27885-0195-45CF-8069-2C01A2B46670.jpeg DB794BEB-0490-4742-8C3B-CC21DE8A22F5.jpeg

toth boer goats and MellonFriend like this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    So what I would do is start on this formula - https://landofhavilahfarm.com/loh/product/gi-back-on-tract/

And also give this whenever he's going out to graze.

And I'd give a rumen bolus.

Leave him off pasture for a few days while he gets all the 'goods' in to reset his system.

And when back on pasture, always make sure to give hay first so he fills up.

4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I ordered the rumen boluses and the GI soother.

His temp was 102.4, and throughout all this he’s never seemed off. I’m still wondering if it is tapeworms. His lower belly feels firm and I think he’s pot bellied looking. I may let them out tomorrow, they’ve been locked up for 3 days now with no big changes aside from the first night.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Wouldn’t be wrong to give equimax.

6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    How the heck do I get this down his throat???

8E9F8860-A8BA-47DE-9008-75405EA32439.jpeg

I’m assuming I open it and mix it with water or something to drench. Do I use 1/10 of it? Does it matter?

Also going to hit him with some Equimax in case it’s tapes.

7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

:omg: That is. The. Largest. Pill. I will ever see. What is it made for and elephant?

8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I know, right!!! And I don’t have tiny hands either...

MellonFriend likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You open it. Either dump powder in mouth or drench with water. Give the whole contents of the pill. Give 1 for 3 days in a row.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Just for clarity - one whole a day, or do you split the same one 3 ways and give once a day 3 days in a row?

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. 1 pill. 1 time per day.

toth boer goats likes this.
  12. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I mixed it in some water and drenched him with it. Poor guy pretty much hates me now but hopefully this helps. I’ll do it two more days in a row. Going to hold off on the wormer for now I think.

13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

How is your baby?

14. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    He’s the same, got his second rumen bolus drenching tonight. Not sure how long to expect before a change. Will do one more tomorrow then likely try the Equimax wormer.

15. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Big bellies like that is usually a worm load or their nutrition is lacking. Yes I know your hackles just went up on that last one but that doesn’t mean that’s what it is or if it is doesn’t mean your feeding poorly. Does the other one push him out of the way for the train and feed? Also he might be one that doesn’t pick the good out of the hay and tends to eat more stem and the lesser quality part of the hay you are feeding. I will get a big belly every now and then and usually it’s the one that is on the low side of the dominate scale. By the time the witches get done picking threw them hay that goat is usually just eating the stems. Usually pulling and feeding separate or if it’s a young kid bumping grain up tends to resolve the issue

16. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    It could very well be his nutrition is lacking. From the start I’ve thought worms with the pot bellied look, but then it didn’t get better. Maybe 3 days safeguard wasn’t enough. Maybe he doesn’t absorb nutrition as well as other goats.

We have them mostly browse for their food. He gets some grain, loose minerals, grass hay, and plenty of browse. I try to maximize browse. The field he is in is more wooded, not a ton of grass but lots and lots of weeds and stuff goats should love. He’s only with one other buckling the same age and size, so he’s not getting out competed. He might just be high maintenance. If so, he’ll get wethered as I don’t need to pass on that trait.

He got his third night of rumen bolus and I also dosed him with Equimax. I’m really hoping I go out to a big pile of dead tapeworms tomorrow because then at least I have my answer.

17. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    It was tapeworms!!!

@NigerianDwarfOwner707 @SalteyLove Thanks so much for the Equimax recommendation!

He looks so much better tonight. Of course I didn’t have my phone to take pics, I’ll get some tomorrow. But his belly is so much smaller already, and he did me the courtesy of pooping in the water bucket. I could see little white segments in the saturated poop. I’m going to worm his buddy with Equimax too. Do they need to be redosed with the Equimax?

Apparently Safeguard does not work in my area, which is a bummer.

18. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Who knew pooping in the water bucket could ever have good results. :lolgoat: That's great to hear that you have an answer.

friesian49 likes this.
  19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Good to hear