The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost-seven-month-old Saanen doe who has a large (and growing) bubble on the right side of her mouth. It started out as a small hard lump on her cheek, which I mistook for some retained cud, and didn't think anything of it. It has now grown into an abscess the size of a small grape, and still seems to be growing. It's not scabby, so I don't believe it is soremouth. Also, it's the only one. It does seem to be painful to the touch. Any ideas on what this might be? I'll try and get some pictures soon.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
could be an abscess tooth, or something lodge in there..a pic would help

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Yep picture would really help.
How is her temp? Is she eating her normal amount?

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting ready to post a picture; it's still uploading. Don't think it's a tooth abscess, this is an external bubble. It looks like it's filled with pus or fluid.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
It could be she got a splinter or sticker in there..looks ready to burst..hair is gone..is it soft? Its not a CL location..so I think I might take precautions (never risk spreading infection) and clean it out..flush it with iodine...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Tooth abscesses are not limited to being inside the mouth. They can also develop externally, and that abscess is in the perfect spot over a molar. If you are not experienced in dealing with abscesses, you may want to consider taking her to your vet. Abscesses need to be cleaned out and treated properly to prevent them from re-occurring. Usually a course of systemic antibiotics are also needed. Taking her to the vet would provide you with the know how of treating any future abscesses that may occur in your herd.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
I agree with GoatCrazy that she will need vet treatment. All the tooth abscesses I have ever seen always had an external abscess.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
I could go either way. A tooth or maybe a piece of foxtail/cheet grass. Either way, good job getting the vet out there. Just pay close attention and or if you want, video tape it and have him explain what he is doing and why. Let us know how it goes.

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The vet came and did her thing. She injected some lidocaine first and then clipped the hair on and around it. She really didn't even have to lance it. The whole top layer came off while she was clipping the area. She then poked and prodded with some hemostats, sort of creating a hole to put the end of a syringe in and flush it out. She said it looked like she had just gotten a splinter in there and it got infected. She told me to put Blue Kote on it until it's healed up. I ended up having her do Brucellosis and TB testing while she was here, so it was a very productive visit. Thanks again all you TGSians for your help. I don't know what I'd do without you!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
wonderful outcome ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts