Large herd, New owner, kids are dying. Please help.

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by mariarose, Dec 29, 2018.

1. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

We have a new member from TX who is overwhelmed. She has over 30 goats and kids are dying on her. People experienced in ill goats and parasite ridden goat, please chime in...

There is a lot of information we don't yet know...
    How they are kept, what they are fed, temperatures, etc. etc. I don't think she knows what information to give.

Here is a short quote
    So much knowledge here that can help. Please chime in.

FoxRidge and 21goaties like this.
  2. mariarose

@murandalisa Do you have the ability to post pictures? That would help us so much in helping you.

How are they kept? Are they fed up off the ground? Do they have a draft free shelter? Is the ground/bedding dry? Or full of mud and muck?

Do you supply free choice loose minerals? Minerals are super important in parasite control and many other health issues you may have going on. What else do you feed, how much and when/how?

Can you describe how the problems start, how they progress, and how quickly the kids die? What are their temperatures? What colour are their stools?

What have you given to treat, and when, and how much?

Believe me, all this is pertinent. I'm not being a nosy nellie

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    21goaties likes this.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm in Texas and more than willing to help if I can if the OP will let us know where they're at.

SandyNubians and mariarose like this.
  4. mariarose

Texans are awesome... Their hearts are as large as their State.

5. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Where in Texas?? There are several Texans in various parts of the state on here. I'm sure any of us would be happy to help if we are close enough!

GoofyGoat, SandyNubians and mariarose like this.
  6. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Thanks everyone. I just posted on the old thread from last night, told her the name of this thread, asked her to reply and sent her a message through conversations as well. You guys are the best.

SandyNubians, mariarose and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'd say you're pretty amazing along with @mariarose trying to help the way you are :)

8. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Wow this post brings back memories. i lost 50% of my kids the first year i kidded.
    so lets go through the things that most commonly kill kids in the first three days.
    remember that kids are dumb and do not know what they are doing. they cant find food.
    the #1 killer is starvation. in the first three days.
    how to prevent starvation
    first put the kids in a small pen. i use a 3x5 food pen. this will keep the doe close to the kids. the kids need time to learn where food is and who there mother is. in a large herd kids loose there mothers. the pen is called a jug (sheep herders name) The jug make it easier for you to keep an eye on the new born kids.
    what are you looking for in a starving kid.
    the first 30 minutes after a kid is born is a critical time. do not assume the kid is eating.
    first strip the doe make sure she has milk. make sure that the plug in the teat is out. (if you have milk squirting out its gone and you are golden)
    now the kid should be standing ar trying to stand. If you are having week kids then you have a vitiman problem. good feed the last month of gestation pays off big time. if this is your problem add one LBS of cob per doe per day to your does feed ration. cob is good to your does pre and post birth.
    but your kids are standing. stick your finger in there mouth. there temp is 101 and it should be warm to the touch. the first thing that goes in a starving kid is there temp. if it is cold and clamy you have no time to dally get the kid under heat and milk in its body.
    if the kid is warm lay down on the ground so you can see what you are doing and conect the doe and kid squirt some milk on your finger stick it in the kids mouth and get it to suck. you may have to do this many times before the kid catches on. then with the kid sucking your finger trade the does teet for your finger. when the kid starts to suck stay there and watch and bask in the happiness of the moment.
    keep the kids and doe in the jug for a day or two. you will need to check them several times when the doe is in the jug.
    here is what i do when i am checking the jugs. first i rattle the jugs startling the kids. if they jump they are good.
    if they don't jump I reach in and make the kids stand. i watch them for a big stretch a good sign
    if these tests are inconclusive then i stick my finger in there mouth. warm good cold feed NOW.

one more thing to do while the kids are in the jug is vaccinate and tag and record the birth.
    the learning curve for a first time herder is brutal. dont' give up in three years you will think back and wonder what am i doing different that is making kidding so fun and successful. Kidding will always be stressful but it is a happy stress.

9. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Read the http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/articlesMain.html website for basically ALL questions (so much i can't go into it all here)! That site and here have been most helpful to us.

https://www.jefferspet.com/ good site to order dewormer, supplies etc

I don't have much experience with kids (remember, we were in a similar boat to this person not too long ago), but we have learned that when a goat starts showing any sign of illness, you take temp and get a fecal done ASAP!

Also, do frequent FAMACHA scoring https://web.uri.edu/sheepngoat/files/FAMACHA-Scoring_Final2.pdf

And, if you have one that has recently died, get a necropsy done.

So sorry this is happening @murandalisa

10. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Poor goats! I get an "inner film" of a goat owner not able to take care of the creatures, getting really fed up with all the work, "And they get more every year, oh, bother, now they start dying, too, best I get rid of them all asap, at highest possible price, I am really fed up to the back teeth with these damned animals!!"

And so someone buys them - and buys the troubles with the animals!

It will get less impossible to help when the present owner is able to tell us more about the animals, the place, his/her own knowledge, photos, and so on and so forth!

And I may add that I am really impressed by the speed with which several people here have responded, with useful links and tips.:goodjob:

11. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Are the bucks and does separated in this herd?

Trollmor likes this.
  12. mariarose

She only has does, kids, and a 7 month old buck(ling). She says all the does must have come to her pregnant.

I got the above from the original post that was buried on an ancient thread. @NigerianNewbie sent out an alert.

murandalisa and 21goaties like this.
  13. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Well, hope she logs back in and sees our replies.

mariarose likes this.
  14. wwfarm

wwfarm wwfarm

Jan 27, 2014
    South Texas
    I'm in South Texas and have a moderately large herd. We have a huge problem down here with the barber pole worm and have to use a specific deworming protocol. We also have a lot of CL in the soil. It can infect the udder and the does cannot nurse.

Is there a way I can read her original post?

top_goat, SandyNubians and mariarose like this.
  15. mariarose

murandalisa likes this.
  16. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    I really hope she logs on and can answer question and get some help. What a terrible thing to be going through!

This is why I love the goatspot. People like @mariarose going out of her way to post a thread to get help. And everyone else providing quick responses. You guys are all incredible! :bighug:

murandalisa, Trollmor and mariarose like this.
  17. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Jupp, exactly! :)

Shannon Horner and murandalisa like this.
  18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I also live in Texas and i am totally willing to help if i get any more information.
    I read the post and i remember once there was a thread when allot of goats were dying but they were drinking from a stream and it had something in it? does anybody else remember this thread or am i just losing my mind!?

SandyNubians likes this.
  19. murandalisa

murandalisa Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    I don’t have any bucks well I have a young one but he doesn’t do anything that I know of. I have been doing a lot of research and I know when now to separate the buck so they don’t kid in winter. I bought them all pregnant and they are kidding I have the mama separate with heat lamps I clean stalls every day and they have clean water and food daily. My 5 week old has survived because I have bottle fed her as opposed to brother who died fed from the mama. The 5 week old is much better after giving her corid diarrhea has stopped. My 2 new babies are now 3 days old seem healthy feeding from mother. My herd does look way better than it was I really am trying. While countinusly researching this is the website I found most helpful I do Believe with all the kind help I will continue on the right track and not give up my husband just said sell them all. I don’t give up easily and my goats have become like my family I spend most time with them they are hilarious. Thanks for the help everyone