The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reserved one more Angora (my goat) making it 2 Angoras to go with our 2 milkers and the little experimental half and half girlie. A total of 5 to start my wee little herd. Actually, each child has 2 goats and I only have 1. Doesn't seem fair does it?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
not fair at all! you'll need another goat...maybe 2.....just to be fair....... hehe

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've been doing the same thing! And while my husband loves having goats, I think he is sick of me calling and saying,"I found this goat.... etc.." I am getting a lamancha on Saturday, and I "think" she will be my last for a while. We have plans to buy a buck, but we won't need him till late winter anyway.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
this goat addiction is a serious problem people don't know about until they're in too deep. someone should run a PSA about this!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My husband is not a farm boy. I'm in this venture with my kids and my parents but hubby tolerates it because he loves us. I am not sure how he'd feel about a 6th goat this year when it started out with only 2. My Mom has been on a farm most of her life and I know she misses it. So far she's been behind me 100% and had a ball running with the kids when we visited goat farms.

I made spreadsheets (I know, dorky). One without a 6th goat and one with the elderly Lamancha I want....
If I can possibly sell the offspring as I would like to and we manage to have doelings once in a while instead of all bucks, then I think a 6th goat would work and I'll be able to breed up into the show goats I really want.

Mom has been on vacation and as soon as she returns I'm going on one so we'll see what happens. I'll surely scream about it here if I get one more. Who knows, the Lamancha I want might not end up being available by the time I decide. I'm good at procrastinating my way into a forced answer. :p But if I decide on a 6th and the Lamancha isn't available, what do you think the chances are I still know how to find the farm ads?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mom just called.
I said "I didn't buy a goat today"
She said "how many did you get yesterday"
I said "one"

I explained who and she was very excited as it was a goat she had met before and we both liked her a lot.

She's as bad as you guys.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I am not a farm girl, but I LOVE animals. if you think 5 is all you can handle at the moment, then just stick to 5. 3 is my current limit...not even LOOKING at goats for sale ads (not that there are any down here anyway) until we're ready for more. our buckling is going to freezer camp, but other goat should be preggers in early fall, so i'm sure we'll just have 2 grown ups and babies for now.

we are looking at moving to a larger piece of land....when that happens is when I will look for my Nubian!

there will ALWAYS be goats for sale....and the farm ads will find you! haha

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there will ALWAYS be goats for sale....and the farm ads will find you! haha
heh. This is a good point. Farm ads seem to call to me.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out what is right. I have time. The elder Lamancha isn't available til July anyway. We have plenty of land and room we just need to sit down and see what we all want to put out in time.

I hope you find a gorgeous piece of land so you can have your big goat :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
we're looking at something with sea views, and currently is used for cattle rearing, but it butts up against a sandstone hill (mountain?). it's gorgeous. things happen S.L.O.W.L.Y. down here, but it's a piece of land my bf really really wants, so....hopefully we'll get it so I can get me more goats!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts