The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How late in the year can you breed a Boer doe ?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Boer does are not seasonal like standard dairy breeds, so they come into heat every month :) That mean the latest in the year that they can be bred would be December 31st, 2013 ;)

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Th Inertnet is both wonderful, and horrible I have read in SEVERAL places that Boer's are seasonal.... Ugh, so Glad to have this site!!!!! :) Thanks a bunch, was worried I would have to skip this entire year of breeding...

What are your experiences in breeding later in the winter like december/january ? Are the flies just horrible when they first have babies, (that what every on says around here to have babies in the spring)... and do they sale in the summer ? Most kids around here are ready in march

·
14,760 Posts
You can breed pretty much year round, but there 'might' be certain times of the year that your does aren't as actively in heat, at least that seems to be the case here. I think the only time I've seen our does less active/no heats is just in June and July. But I think it depends on the weather too.

·
Registered
818 Posts
With dairy kids at least, it is more difficult to find homes in Summer. Early spring seems to be when there are few kids available and a lot of buyers. In summer time, everyone already has what they want for the year, or they are too buisy.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
It's a fact Boers can breed year around. Go to a show and you will see goats in every age class. But at my farm they don't come in heat unless it's in the fall. Ha. I'm pretty sure I know why though. I don't keep a stinky mature adult buck around. It's called the "buck effect". So what I'm saying is Boers are sort of seasonal even though it is possible to breed any time.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have a yucky stinky buck around lol, but i love him! My family can't stand when I come in smelling like a buck!, I don't notice it...

I am hoping my girls will grow enough to be bred to have spring/early summer babies.. if not I will wait till next year :) My buck is in an adjoining pen so the girls see and smell him 24/7 .. He destroys the gate in his buck pen to get out (it is 100 yards away from the girls pen, he hates it) so I just decided everyone is more happy with him there! He can see smell and touch them but can't breed... the pen is 5 foot goat panels with T posts every 6 feet so he can not escape ... yet atleast lol! I am in the process of building a new gate to get him to his pen but for now this is working.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What are your experiences in breeding later in the winter like december/january ? Are the flies just horrible when they first have babies, (that what every on says around here to have babies in the spring)... and do they sale in the summer ? Most kids around here are ready in march
I have bred my does in December and January. I had good luck with both of them, although the end of June can be very hot around here. How are you selling your kids? Pets or something else. I can't speak for the pets side because no one around here wants pet goats, but meat goats sell anytime of year. Prices vary according to the time of year, but I do ok. As far as flies are concerned, I didn't have any more fly problems than I normally do, but I can't guarantee that you will have the same experience. Personally, I would stay away from kidding in July and August - it's just too hot and the babies can't handle the heat for the first few days.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan on selling them for both meat and pets, we have both buyers around here. They will be kind and gentle so either one would work. I think the flies would only be a problem if you didn't clean up the babies and mommas right away, and dispose of the delivery yuckness, so I am not too worried about that. This year our temps just got high we were in lower 80 till now we shot up to high 90s ! Indiana can never seem to make up it's mind on the weather! We don't seem to have to bad of summers, I think June is as late as I would want to kid. Thanks for the info :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts