Late abortion question-LA200

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by blip3, Mar 5, 2014.

1. blip3

blip3 New Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Hi All, I had a doe abort twins at around 123 days. I've read many of the posts on late abortion, and I suspect it was chlamydia. Unfortunately, I'm new to all of this, and I froze the dead babies (it's winter, the ground is too rock-hard for me to bury). She ate the afterbirth. As I understand it, if you've frozen the babies, you can't test them, which I realize many might suggest. The indicators of chlamydia are 1) Late abortion 2) the fact that chlamydia is the number one cause of late abortion 3) I had another doe have pink eye about 5 months ago. Other possibilities are selenium deficiency, or toxoplasmosis (we have 2 or three stray barn cats). I have one other pregnant (I think) doe who is due in about a month.

My questions are two fold:

1)Considering I can't test for the chlamydia from the fetus, would it be bad to go ahead and treat my small herd (three goats) with LA 200 as a precaution?

2) Is it OK to give LA 200 to a lactating doe? And how risky is it to give it to my other doe who I believe is pregnant.

Basically, is the presence of pink eye in a doe (that I have since sold) 5 months ago, coupled with a late abortion a strong enough indicator to treat the whole heard with LA200 without getting tests done?

I realize these questions have a lot of overlap with other threads, but I couldn't find any that address my situation closely enough. Thanks for any responses!

2. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    You could test the doe for chlamydia, that way you would know for sure instead of shooting in the dark. I know of no reason why you couldn't give LA200 to a lactating or pregnant doe, but I would test the doe who aborted first. Pink eye can be caused by too many things to be an accurate indication of chlamydia in your herd - again, I would test the doe that aborted.

3. blip3

blip3 New Member

Mar 5, 2014
    How do I test her, and how much does it cost?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Contact your vet, they can help you with all that.

5. blip3

blip3 New Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Ok, thanks!