The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A really well known goat breeder locally lost a doe recently to pregnancy toxemia and it has me overthinking our feed quantity, ratio and frequency.

For those of you with full sized dairy breeds , how much and what type of feed are you giving your girls during the last four, five weeks of pregnancy ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you feeding now?
Non pregnant they get about two cups a day of a mixture that is 50% alfalfa,.and 50% a cracked corn and oat mix. Once they are a few months in I slowly increase that... They're getting about a pound and a half I'd say per day up until this week. One was looking a bit thin so I was thinking of increasing her to two lbs a day.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Non pregnant they get about two cups a day of a mixture that is 50% alfalfa,.and 50% a cracked corn and oat mix. Once they are a few months in I slowly increase that... They're getting about a pound and a half I'd say per day up until this week. One was looking a bit thin so I was thinking of increasing her to two lbs a day.
Alfalfa meaning alfalfa pellets. They get plenty of fresh hay as well and weekly replamin and free choice minerals

1 - 9 of 9 Posts