Late pregnancy questions

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by CCCSAW, Sep 20, 2020.

1. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    1 how long from gooey to goopy?
    Meridia and Banshee are both about 10-15 days from due the 30th and 1st being 145 days estimated from visual mounting. Buck presence was about a month 4-29 to 5-30 with due date window from 9-21 to 10-27. This morning Meridia had just a little discharge, nothing substantial she just looked sticky on her vulva and a little on her tail. I just want to make sure I'm right to assume this is normal early discharge? Also her udder is filling more as expected for being so close.

2 what is to early for delivery? Or to late?
    Given I only have estimates for 5 does with 3 possible not conceiving and only have confirmed mating for the 2 we know are for sure pregnant. I just wonder i know 145-150 days is considered normal, I've had some even say 155. But what is early? What is late? With people the babies due date is estimated at 40 weeks but the safe delivery range is actually 36-42 weeks. What is the safe range for a goat?

3 late udder development on none first time does?
    So this is regarding Kyanti and Mascato both older previously breed dairy girls. I do not have an estimate for them beyond the presence of the buck as i never saw mounting. I do currently suspect not pregnant but am still watching. How late (or close to delivery) can the udder start to fill in? I know i could be keeping an eye on these 2 and the last doe Flash for the whole expected month. But again I do not currently believe any of these 3 are infact pregnant. If Flash is pregnant she is expected to be last to deliver but currently shows no signs of pregnancy.

This will be our first deliveries, and we are confident and ready. It's just you know being prepared mentally for things to not go smoothly.

With the changes I have seen in Meridia and Banshee over the last few months, udder, vulva and belly i am comfortable saying the other 3 are not pregnant. But i will keep an eye on them until past or kidding window just to be safe

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

They can lose those mucus plugs a week or so out from kidding. That could be what you are seeing as far as the goopy rear. But keep a close watch on the ligs. Ligs tell you a lot about how cloe they are to kidding.

groovyoldlady likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Some get pretty messy late term and it is normal. As long as there is no nasty smell to it.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  4. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Thank you, that answers the first question... unfortunately Meridia is a wild child, she only elects for attention on her terms so checking ligaments is out of the question unless I have a second set of hands to help grab her, and I really don't see that as necessary until she is past 150 days.

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

More than a week early will probably not survive. After about 160 days you'd want to contact the vet. But since you have a range, you really won't know.

6. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Thank you, the main 2 I am 95% confidant in thier due dates, it's mostly just the other 3 that fall into the full range. But I'll keep that in mind, at least with the 2 I'll have an idea of what might be too early or too late. I certainly do have a lot of people I can call including a vet and vet tech

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just because you saw a breeding happen, doesn't mean it took that time. If the girls were all in with the male, then they all have a range.

I put in a male for one month with my girls. On the first day, one of the girls was bred. It was a good breeding and he got her a couple times. She was obviously in heat. Wrote the date down on the calendar. The day she actually gave birth was from the last days that the male was there. So do NOT only base a due date on breedings you saw. Consider all your girls to have a window, not a date.

toth boer goats and Sfgwife like this.
  8. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Thank you, I do understand that. I do have my reasons why I trust my dates. But I didn't say I was 100% confidant with them.