The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting goats laid down when necessary. I found some lice today so I powdered everyone, and in order to really get their bellies I had to get them on their back. I've thrown goats before when they get pushy (usually with mean bucks) but since 4/5 are pregnant does I had to be careful. The best way seem to be to pick up one front leg, then reach over their neck to lift their other one so I could lean on their neck and keep them from getting up. Then keep weight on their neck while I used the first hand to grab the opposite hind and get them to lay over on that side. They still thrashed a bit while I rolled them over but actually getting them down went pretty smoothly, and everyone hopped back up with a little help.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Goat in Himmel said. I already had the powder so didn't want to go buy something else, and no way I could get it through several inches of hair with a sock.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Only way I've found that works to get a goat laid down without a serious wrestling match is to flank them. Ever watched goat tying at a Jr Rodeo? Similar to calf tying.

Warning...they don't like it and you have to hold them down. Takes practice, but doesn't hurt them. Probably hurt yourself before hurting them! LOL

Might have someone video the first couple tries for a good laugh later. LOL!

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Like Goat in Himmel said. I already had the powder so didn't want to go buy something else, and no way I could get it through several inches of hair with a sock.
Looks to me like the decision is whether it's cheaper to buy another product or risk your does aborting due to stress and being laid down. I know what I would choose. ;-)

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think they were stressed enough to cause abortion, that's why I was very careful. I wouldn't do it if they were extremely pregnant but they still have a while to go.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
The point at which a doe becomes stressed enough to abort is an individual thing and it varies from situation to situation. I won't lay a pregnant doe down - period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.