The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am fairly new to raising kid goats and am concerned about my 4-week old bottle baby. He will never drink more than a few ounces a day and half of the time I have to force it. Should I be forcing in even more? He will nibble on hay and grains. Also, could this be the cause of his laziness? He does not bounce around or play with his brother. He also gets cold very easily and loves to lay by the fireplace.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know about his temp but I have taken him to the vet and he said he looks good. He suggested I put a little heavy whipping cream in the milk so I did and now he refuses the milk even more. I was just thinking he may be lethargic from the lack of nutrients

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
This definitely does not sound normal.

Did the Veterinarian do a fecal analysis?

How long have you owned the bottle kids? Which type of milk are you feeding? Is the milk heated to 101*F for feeding?

Take his temperature rectally with a digital thermometer.

Does he feel boney along the spine, hips, or ribs?

Could you post some photos?

Which breed and what is his exact weight?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have owned them for almost two weeks now, we brought him to the vet due to his behavior but he said he was underweight and in good condition other than a little rattling in his lungs that he gave a shot for. He weighed him in at 7.2 lbs. I can feel his hip bones and spinal bones quite well. I feed them whole milk with some heaving whipping cream and yes I always warm it up. He is a Pygmy goat. The vet did not do a fecal analysis but his stool is not diarrhea/scours. I will do a rectal temperature today though

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Okay, I'm not too familiar with African Pygmy Goat growth rates but obviously he is underweight for his age. You are very right to reach out for additional help, unfortunately I'm don't feel confident the veterinarian covered all the bases.

A few notes:

Warming the milk vs. feeding it at about 101*F: goats body temperature is higher than ours, some kids adapt well to cooler milk, others don't. 101 will feel quite a bit hotter than a human's baby bottle will. If you have a kitchen thermometer, check the temperature next bottle and see if that helps him take any more volume. It might not.

Parasites vs. poop: you're correct, in many or most cases, you'll see some poop symptoms if parasites are involved, but there are definitely times when a serious parasite issue can occur without loose stool! Goat kids are SO SO SO prone to parasites and your kids are the ripe age for one of the most damaging: Coccidia. Coccidia can do a lot of damage to the gut and cause lifelong problems for the goat.

Normal goat temperature is 101.5 to 103.5* F - let us know what he reads.

Three additional suggestions:

1. Check the goat closely for lice, part the fur in several places and observe close to the skin.

2. Google "Goat FAMACHA" and check the goat kid for anemia based on his eye membranes - sounds scary - it's not!

3. Collect a fecal sample in a ziploc bag, label it with the goat's name and collection date, and pop it in the fridge. You have two options: find a local veterinary office (perhaps the one you already used) to perform a fecal analysis OR mail the sample to a lab (typically less expensive.) If you bring it to the vet office, it's IMPERATIVE you request the look for Coccidia as well as other parasites. I would strongly consider have a fecal analysis done on BOTH kids, but most especially the unthrifty one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the advice! I do have a kitchen thermometer and am now checking to make sure it is at 101. Once I get a rectal thermometer and check, I will let you know what it says. Funny enough, he just pooped and I will be sure to send it to vet or a lab. Earlier in the week, I did notice some bugs that may have been lice on him so I poured some sevin dust on after reading about it and I no longer see any. His eyelids are a nice pink worm and he was dewormed not too long ago.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
You're very welcome! I hope you can get him feeling better.

Since you mentioned he was dewormed - which dewormer and dosage used? I'm glad to hear FAMACHA score is good but the fact that he has been dewormed makes me even more concerned that coccidia is the issue!

The alternative is that the "rattle" the veterinarian heard was a more serious infection of some type. Do you know what the injection given was?

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Sergio is ever so handsome but my oh my Fernando certainly does not feel well at all. (LOVE THE NAMES!)

They are definitely not Pygmy goats - they might be Nigerian Dwarf goat... do I see blue eyes in those photos?

I know we've had so so many questions, but it's just tough to help online! Was it Cattle Pour-On Cydectin or Sheep Drench Cydectin? I want to make sure the dosing was adequate so we can rule out parasites.

Unfortunately Coccidia requires completely different treatment.

Draxxin is a great choice for neonatal respiratory issues but I'd be willing to bet he still has a fever and needs additional antibiotic treatment!

What is Sergio's bottle schedule? How many per day and how many ounces?

Keep up the hard work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! Haha we have a trend of names ending in o and couldn’t stop with them XD. Yes their fathers were Nigerian but I believe the mothers were Pygmy. I use the cattle pour on but I did send out a fecal test today and should know the results tomorrow. I feed Sergio every four hours and he will usually drink the whole bottle which is 8 oz. With Fernando I will try to feed him more frequently since he takes less and needs to be forced

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
Thank you! Haha we have a trend of names ending in o and couldn't stop with them XD. Yes their fathers were Nigerian but I believe the mothers were Pygmy. I use the cattle pour on but I did send out a fecal test today and should know the results tomorrow. I feed Sergio every four hours and he will usually drink the whole bottle which is 8 oz. With Fernando I will try to feed him more frequently since he takes less and needs to be forced
How much does each kid weigh? Eight ounces at a time seems like an awful lot of milk for a kid this young. You also need be weighing at least the sick one daily. They need gain steady every day. Do you add a pinch of baking soda to the first bottle of the day?

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,169 Posts
Im not as knowledgable as Salty..but one thing Ive tried. Dont give him milk for a day of feeding. But electrolites to give him a kick start. Then the next day go back to his milk. I would also give a touch of red cell. Put a dab on your finger and let him lick it off. Its vit b & iron. It will help him feel better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.