Lazy buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I know it's been talked about before, but argh!

The Nubian buck I have here, Popeye, is young but mature and more than large enough to get things done.

My doe Seven is in heat, has been in heat since yesterday afternoon. But despite being together all night, there is NO evidence of breeding. (Messy tail, semen, etc)

I've seen him mount her half heartedly a couple of times and once in a while he will blubber or paw at her, and then he seems to lose interest.

Very frustrating, as I can't possibly have my Nubian does go dry ANOTHER year. I've had quite the time with them this year. First they were supposed to be bred to a friend's buck, but that didn't work out (long story which I'm not happy about) so I brought them back because I have Popeye here.

It's already past the time I prefer to have kids, and I was hoping this would be the LAST month I have breedings. But if Popeye can't be bothered to get the job done...

Argh!! :hair:

Thanks, I needed to vent..I swear I want to strangle the lot of them

2. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I have a buck exactly like this, he was born in January. If Im lucky if he will breed a doe once and of course I dont accept a doe is serviced until I see three good looking trys. (I know that doesnt mean bred) other than that he stands their messing around. He is useless as a breeding goat so Im ordering a Burdizzo/Emasulastone (sp?) for the spring buck kids anyways and hes gonna get it too. Its sad because pedigree wise he would be a nice addition, but because he only trys once a doe he "bred" months ago came in heat again so I put her with a 6 month old saw the trys (5+) and she didnt come back in heat. Thats pretty sad that a 5 month old is more interested and not even stinky at that in my opinion.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    get real.
    sorry if i sound mean, but...i would never castrate a young buck because he's not getting things done on time.

He's young.

if you have a mature buck in rut as well as him, house them together w/ a doe for a few days and in no time the young buck will understand what to do. When my young boer kinda slacks on his job i will him my my alpine and almost immediately he will become more buck like.

4. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    The thing is this buck knows what he is supposed to do, he just chooses not to. He is just too people friendly and would rather have attention. Im not keeping him a buck if hes not going to do his job, I will only change my mind if he produces any kids in the spring (loosing a fetus doesnt count against him). I dont have the tool yet to do so anyways. I am happy to have him a buck or a wether because of his friendly attitude.

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    my parents borrowed a neighbors buck for the first breeding they ever did and they had to help him mount and everything becuase he had no idea what to do... never heard other stories like that though.
    you might wanna try looking up herbs that raise "energy" in that area of life and try it. i know strawberries are supposed to to that with people. sorry i can't help much :(

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Depending what you are feeding him.....they do have some feeds... that make the buck lazy..... and not as active ....with doing the deed.... Like show type feeds ...I think it is meant.... so that at the shows ....the bucks are more controllable.... stop the grain... if you are giving any show type.....and give it 2 weeks....

I agree...also I find... that some young boer bucks... don't have enough stink yet....to really turn themselves on........ putting him around a mature( stinky ...stinky) buck....will get the other bucks scent on him...the Does will be more wanting... as he will......also competition... helps kick in the breeding "Q".... give him a chance....Also... if you doubt his fertility because of laziness.... get a sperm count done....

Also keep in mind...that I have known of some bucks ...that literally don't want you to watch and do the deed at night.... :wink:

7. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I've heard that some nubian bucks start late with breeding. Last year my buck (a nubian) wasn't stinky enough and he wasn't interested in the girls either. He was about 5 months at that time. He has bred all my girls this year. Some bucks start later than others.

8. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    in my opinion it takes guys longer to most things. human puberty for example. for guys puberty is about as fast as molasses uphill in february! now girls on the other hand... KA-BAMMO!!! you're a woman, congrats, here have some cramps and bloating and a headache with that.

sorry i kinda went off there... :) oops!

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I don't feed grain to bucks, so I know that's not an issue. He's just young, and maybe being a Nubian he is slower to mature. He doesn't belong to me and I have no thoughts of castrating him just because he's a bit slow. Choke him to death maybe... JK.

Seven is coming out of her cycle. No evidence of breeding but I guess maybe overnight something MAY have happened. If not, my slightly older Nigi buck will be back next month. Mini-Nubians are better than no kids at all, although I had my heart set on Nubian kids from this buck this year. Oh well!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh:

test Seven ....18 to 21 days after she went out of her cycle.... if she doesn't come back in .....she should be preggo....good luck...... :wink: :pray:

too funny....and so true :thumbup: :greengrin: :thumb: :ROFL:

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yup I've got her marked down both to see if she comes back into heat and to make sure my Nigi buck will be back by then. He's young as well but has more experience and knows what he's supposed to be doing.

Now just waiting on Peggy and Jensen (the Boer doe that's staying here) to come into heat. Maybe Popeye will get the idea then. Lol.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :hug: good luck..... I hope it all works out the way you want it to... :thumb:

13. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Sunny didn't do crap until I had another buck in with them... Now he's the sire of the herd.. unfortunately, my little buckling can't get any fun my does don't wanna come in heat all at once :D

Anyway... Dad wont allow us to keep any that aren't doing their job... they only get one season to prove as we can't afford to pay for something that is not working.