learn me

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    So I go down to goat sense and it does not have or let me start new thread. My question is about castating a buckling. Why do you have to cut the bottom of sac, pull the balls out and cut? Then you can cut the extra skin. Don't mean to be mean, but why can't you just cut the whole thing off?

2. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Part of it has to do with the number of blood vessels involved and their various sizes. My board-certified-urologist husband castrates our calves and sometimes there is a lot of bleeding no matter how carefully the testicles are removed. He cuts one at a time. The bottom of the scrotum that is removed accounts for little of the bleeding. You don't remove the rest of the scrotum once the testicles are removed. The bottom will close and heal on its own eventually.

I know that he is able to put a clamp on the "bleeders" after he removes a testicle. Just slicing the scrotum off near the top of the scrotum would not give you that chance. In addition, you don't want to actually cut or slice but more or less "scrape" the spermatic cords to control the bleeding. A straight cut will bleed more. There are probably more web sites on proper surgical castration of cattle, which would demonstrate this.

I plan on using an emasculator, bloodless castrator, burdizzo on my goats. With their smaller size I think this would be just as effective. I'll be doing 5 or 10 lb kids versus 250 lb or greater calves (or at the minimum a day-old 80 pound weakling calf.)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumb: Lauren....perfect reply! This is why I choose banding! LOL