Learned how to draw blood today

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NDinKY, Dec 15, 2019.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    In the past, we’ve always had our vet draw for biosecurity testing, but at $45 a goat x 10 adults to draw we knew we needed to figure something else out. A woman we bought several goats from came to help us learn how. It’s really not that bad. The bucks were a lot harder than the does (thicker skin, wanted to see the ladies so we’re more tense), but I managed to successfully draw on everyone, eventually. Poor Fleece was probably stuck 20+ times but he was a champ. So for anyone wanting to test but hasn’t drawn on their own, it’s not too hard.

HMNS, Sfgwife, MadHouse and 3 others like this.
  2. Hillsideboers

Hillsideboers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Iowa
    Great job! I did my first blood draw a few month ago, it was so much easier than I thought it would be. I’m excited to be able to save on a vet visit and the blood draw now that I can do it myself.

NDinKY likes this.

3. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Hurray for you! That's awesome!!!!

NDinKY likes this.
  4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Congratulations! It's such a good skill I have not mastered yet!

NDinKY likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    It’s probably going to take a couple years for me to master, but I’m glad I learned it! I’ll probably draw for pregnancy on the couple of does who were too early for this draw. The goats were really good about being guinea pigs for me.

7. Yep! SO simple, it just sounds horrible. No way I was paying all that when I could just pay the test fees themselves for way cheaper. Doing things yourself almost always (most of the time) ends up cheaper.

My husband and I have it down now. I even drew this year on a couple. Usually, I hold them and he draws. I even helped my friend do 45 goats earlier this year...that was a lot of work lol.

toth boer goats and NDinKY like this.
  8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Great job!

NDinKY likes this.
  9. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    That is awesome, great job!!! :)

NDinKY likes this.
  10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Congrats on getting the blood drawn! I admit, it's one thing I haven't done, only because my husband knows how to do it (he pulls blood on horses at work for DNA testing, etc.). We only pull blood randomly for pregnancy testing, but if we did it more often I'd certainly be giving it a go. I definitely think having someone in the home who can do it is important, saves on those vet bills for sure!

NDinKY and GoofyGoat like this.
  11. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    Hi NDinKY...
    I'm proud of ya! :)
    It's going to save you a lot of $$$ being able to do it yourself. Many of the tests aren't expensive at all (by themselves) but, throw in the Vet Bill along with it and things really start adding up.

NDinKY likes this.