The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I can get some answers. I have just started my herd, (4 yrs in) I have 9 does. Hopefully 8 of them will produce for me come December & January. My thing is I want to start breeding for certain traits ( yeah I know that is what we all should do). My question is where do I go to learn about conformation, color etc. and how to go about getting what I want?

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Well, for the conformation, you can learn a lot by looking through the conformation section of the forum, and if there is something you don't understand you could send Lacie(Little Bits N Pieces) a PM. I find that color isn't as important as conformation and production, so color to me isn't as important, unless you are selling the offspring as pets, in which case a lot of buyers like nice colorful goats :D

Just my two cents ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well, since you already have the does you need to find the buck that best suits your conformation needs. what breed are your does? Find a buck that corrects the faults of the majority of your does, and whose mother has the best udder of any you can find. If you have nds color is a crap shoot anyway, but you can find the one that does/has the above and is the color you want. most breeders are looking to correct rumps and medial suspensory ligament. these are crucial for a breeding herd and are highly heritable. I would recommend this forum but also the book raising dairy goats by storey. this book has alot of the info you want. Remember that offspring get 23% of their grandparents genetics so look at that when deciding what to get. Also some characteristics are more heritable than others. Without taking a course in genetics, the 23% rule is as good as it gets. There is a paper on goat color by D. Philip Sponenberg DVM out of VPI that you can read on line. ADGA also has a web page that allows you to try before you buy. So you are supposed to able to see what you would get with a planned mating. Kintracks is a good software program and readily available on ebay.

·
2,203 Posts
You offered a fairly vague "question", no offense. I feel as if you need to specify what you wish us to offer assistance with?

I'd be more than happy to assist you, just tell me your questions.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I agree, the question is quote vague. what can help is post pictures of your girls and have them critiqued, and ask for suggestions on what kind of buck to look for to improve on genetics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts