Leash Training Goats

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Kenny Battistelli, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

1. Kenny Battistelli

Kenny Battistelli Member

Nov 29, 2020
    Pennyslvania
    Can goats learn to walk on a leash nicely? I've had my heart set on teaching them to walk on a leash but I am not seeing any progress. They stop to eat, which is not something I want. Can anyone share their experiences or tips?

Iluvlilly! and Dee4 like this.
  2. Heathersboergoats

Heathersboergoats Member

Feb 18, 2019
    IL
    They can it, it will take a lot of work for the to walk nicely. If you can get them away from the food onto dirt or gravel. Having treats when working on getting them to walk is a must. I can't think of anything else right now. Good luck!

Iluvlilly! likes this.

3. Dee4

Dee4 Active Member

Hi, Iam a new goat mummy of two months, with two 8month old Pygmy kids.
    I wanted to be able to take them for walks, to give them a change of area, and to help to keep their hooves bit shorter.
    All I do, is put a collar on, did not get on well with harness, and a twin lead, and take them both together, the doe is more forward going, the wether tends to stop and stand, so I gently tug on his collar and push his rump, once he moves forward, praise him with fuss or little treat. My husband and I go out together sometimes with single leads.
    Once they are out onto the Bank top, they seem happy, and now look forwards to their daily little walk, I only go out for about 10/15 mins, always aware of cars and dogs though. If they stop to eat, whilst I wait for car to pass etc, I let them, but gently move them on with collar and rump action. They sometimes go for little runs, and can be quick.
    They are naturally skitty little things, and can be stubborn, and not dogs but now they are used to going out, I take them separate for more training, hope you get on ok, and take care.

4. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Are you using a collar, harness or head halter?

Made a mistake and used a head halter first for training lead. Resulted in stiff legged, backing up posturing and circling. They acted like little stubborn mules time after time. So, bad habits were being developed from that goof.

Switched to collars and a lead instead and they learned the lead meant follow/come with. (It took a little time to erase the bad habits picked up from my premature and improper halter training though.) From there taught them to stand in one place patiently, whether lead was being held by me or tied to something stationary. They grasped the concept the lead meant they were no longer permitted to do whatever pleased them while attached to it.

Once the collar manners were well learned, they graduated back to head halters. A halter gives the human more control over where or which direction the head can travel. There were times when the leash had to be held closer to the head to restrict undesirable behavior, but never to the point of snatching them around. After a while and a heap of praising words and only a few scolding words, they graduated full time to a longer leash length.

Be patient, kind, consistent, praise often even after they master what you want them to learn. Pay attention to the visual cues and personality traits they give off to help you be able to stay 1 step ahead of them. Take the leadership role while respecting their limitations. They most certainly can learn what you expect of them, some just take longer than others.

toth boer goats likes this.