leash training?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Zero, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    Alright I am working on Zero in leash training.

Here is my problem...he doesnt like treats
    raisins, corn chips, you name it

So I read you can sort of lead them with a hand full of their food...no luck. Tried grass, fallen tree limbs...nothing he would not move as soon as that leash goes on.

So I started giving tugs and he would lay down. Alright sence the food wasnt working I tried the next best thing I could. By adding a training method from horses. I went and stood him put and started walking. When he went to lay down I held the leash at a level to where he couldnt lower his head so he could lay. I did not yank up! Just a slight pressure to get him moving and held the leash at a level to where he can move his head about and walk if he tried to go down he would be pulling on himself. If he starts to choke himself I would release and help him stand up again((small goat so easy)).

Well, great news it worked. He doesnt lay down and he walks sort of okay for right now...another problem facing he rears back now. So after a few steps he jumps up on his hind legs and pulls. I stop but dont let him back up. How do I fix this next step. :whatgoat:

I thought I fixed the problem until he started rearing

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Sounds like you are doing a good job with him. As for the rearing...I usually just kind of ignore it and keep walking...once they figure out that they're not getting anywhere by doing that they usually give up. It's fine that he doesn't like treats...I don't think I've ever used treats with any of mine for leash training...just patience :)

3. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    It threw me off that he wouldnt go for treats. Ok I will keep on going then.

I have to say I am proud of him. We only do about 2 15 minutes training a day. Only 2 days and we had worked out the falling but Today I will give a shot at what you said to do.