Leash walking advice needed

Discussion in 'Pack Goat Training' started by thekibblegoddess, May 20, 2015.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I think I would get a harness and a wagon. :D When they want to go home get in the wagon and enjoy the ride:p:D;):) Make sure you share your adventures with us we need the laugh.

2. greal

greal New Member

Jul 16, 2013
    We are doing much better, got the little whip in my back pocket when needed which is very little now. I do need to tie up the other goat before I go get him as she comes over and starts to push on him an he wants to push her away an forgets I am connected, so catching has been much better with her tied up. Bow hunting started this weekend I am hoping to get him out away from everyone here soon with a bright blue pack on so he will stand out. He needs some time just with me which will help him even more. Thanks again for the input.

Oreosmom likes this.

3. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Glad he's doing better. Sometimes these goats just need a little reminder of who's boss! Good luck on your bow hunt!

Oreosmom and capracreek like this.
  4. capracreek

capracreek Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Love the wagon idea. It would be fun to ride in a parade in a goat pulled wagon! Just imagine the intrigue and interest in goats after that. PETA and HSUS could choke!

Oreosmom likes this.
  5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    greal, Oreosmom and capracreek like this.
  6. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon

.isn't that odd how every one gets so excited about our little ones.. ( sorry bout this next comment, couldn't refrain) and haven knows they wouldn't stop if you had ugly goats, but that wouldn't happen as there are No ugly goats!!!

But I agree, having indoor/city goats using the same technics I train my dogs with, often works on the goats too. Especially the water bottle.!

7. greal

greal New Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Yep your right. Oh I am not going bow hunting but the season is on that is why I will be putting a blue pack on him so no one thinks he is a special deer out there. I do rifle season in Oct.
    Aspen likes to take the handle of my wheelbarrow and pull it backwards with his head sometimes he tries to push it too. Funny to watch.

8. LockeEstates

LockeEstates Active Member

Nov 25, 2017
    A13832CB-1DF3-469D-8573-91C42AFA739D.jpeg I trained my little ones to leash a bit differently. My dog loves the goats and to get one of them to walk with him is the best thing in the world to my aging boy. So to start off I sting a horse lead through Kiba’s service harness. This is up off of his back so there is no irritation. Having a buddy for the goat to walk with seems easier on the Kidd as well. Mind you these are for training purposes and are kept short. Slowly once the Kidd gets the hang of it, Kiba is unstrung and the Kidd walks sedately beside him. Kiba, the Jack Russell wonder helps to keep the Kidd’s in with the herd and seems to have been accepted as part of the herd. After that, leash walking is a breeze. “Let’s go for a walk.” And my five are ready.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  9. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Yupp! And if you can for your knee problem, do put one knee among her ribs when pulling softly but decidedly to the side in the lead. In this angel she is not at all as strong as she is pulling straight forwards.

Not having the time to read all the entries, I guess someone has already said it, but: Some nice goodies in your pocket, which she knows is there to get at irregular intervals during the walk.

10. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I am sorry, I cannot laugh when they have collided with a car on that road.