The Goat Spot Forum banner

Leasing a buck. Questions.

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jazlyn 
#1 ·
Ok so I got a call today from a local agricultural school. They want to lease a buck for about a month for their 4 registered does. Since I am fairly new to this I was wondering how everyone goes about this. Do you have a written contract I could use? What do you ask for a fee? Their goats are CAE, CL negative and they are going to get updated tests soon.

#2 ·
I dont lease my bucks. They dont leave my property. There's only one person I'd be comfortable letting them go to. But for does to come here, they must be utd on vaccs, & healthy. (This is for the pygmys.) And they can only come when they are in heat. The buck breeds thems and they leave, I will not house any goats here.

I own show goats (Nubians) And I will not risk spreading anything to my herd, especially the nubians. For that reason, my nubian buck will not breed outside does.

#3 ·
Well, when it was clear that my new Cashmere buckling wasn't going to be "ready" to breed those "crazy, scary, wild women", I borrowed a buck from the breeder I got him from. They only charged me $50 for the lease, but I paid $100 for them to bring him here...which was a great relief to me. They haven't come to get him yet though, so he's been here since Nov! So, hubby says we should just use him again. But, I just as soon they come get him. He's a nice boy, though. Can't complain about his manners...too much. Their herd is tested neg. for CAE, CL, etc.

Admittedly, this is a very "low key" arrangement. I'm not suggesting you do it this way. In fact, I doubt I would send a buck anywhere under the same circumstances. But, this is the arrangement they made and I was OK with it. I hope some others give you their thoughts. I have a friend who leases bucks occasionally, I'll find out what she does and get back to you.

#4 ·
I wouldn't have any problem leasing my buck to someone with healthy does, a safe environment and a dependable person to care for him. I would deliver and pickup and that would be in the agreement. That way I know he is being transported safely and I see the environment he will be kept in and approve it before he is unloaded. I would charge based on the number of does he will breed and in some situations might even donate his service if it is school related. Just be sure your agreement spells out exactly what will occur and who is responsible. Good luck, D

#5 ·
Be sure that the school kids are not mean to him or the does. When I was in public high school Ag. the boys were just cruel, always picking on and spooking them and saying "It doesn't matter. It's guna die any way." Poor Boer goats. :( Be cautious.

I think you will make the right decision in the long run. :thumbup: Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.