leasing a buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Feb 21, 2010.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How do you work leasing a buck? what are some things to consider? do you like short term or long term lease?

Looking for some people who have done this on either side of the leasing.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    A few yrs back my mentor offered a lease on one of her bucks (unproven at the time)
    I had a choice to either pay by # of does bred or a flat fee. I chose the flat fee which was 100.
    Lease went for just over amonth.
    A signed agreement between the two of us consisted of "no outside does" & if anything was to go wrong with buck I would call her immediatly & we would determine further care.

Two yrs ago a breeder friend needed a place for her buck while they had another visiting one.

Last yr was offered a different buck owned by someone else. It was a verbal agreement.
    Turned out buck bloated up one afternoon. He must have pigged out on one of the does grain as well as his own. Called her to let her know while doing all I knew. Walking bloat meds oil & lots of prayers. She came to get him at 2am; he was fine by the next day.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    There are a couple of ways that I have leased bucks before.

I have done a two month lease where I paid a flat rate for the breeding and agreed to cover any feed and medical expenses while the buck was under my care.

And then I have done it to where I did not pay anything to lease the buck but kept him from late fall until the grazing season next spring. I provided all feed, worming, hoof trimming, etc. for the winter so basically the owner's payment was having one less goat to feed and take care of all winter.

Personally, I like one or two month leases the best because I just don't particularly enjoy having bucks around...and the job is always done within that time period anyhow.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I need to have my buck sort of gone for at least half the year ..... so I was thinking of offering him as a free lease and then 5- 10.00 per memo.
    This way someone with a larger herd or a couple does would find this helpful as well as profitable instead of buying a buck.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If you know & trust someone that would be great!

6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    We leased a neighbor's buck for our girls this year, fee was $25/doe. We only had the two girls so it was reasonable enough. We probably could have negotiated that down but he is a neighbor and we didn't want to push it. The agreement was he would stay on with us until our girls were bred and that if there were any problems with the breeding "taking" that he would allow us to use his other buck. Turns out, one girl took the other didn't so we took our other girl to visit next door on the first. Hopefully she took that time, if not, oh well, he did his best. The owner of the goat also delivered and picked him up so we didn't have to worry about transport.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think that sounds reasonable Stacey. If you can find someone who will keep in touch with you, all the better.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Woman, you're killing me. Which buck? Atreyu could use a buddy for half the year :p

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ