Leasing bucks.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sybil, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Has anyone leased a buck and generally what is charged. I have seen some people charge a single fee for the breeding season and I have had friends charge a per doe fee. When I leased a buck years ago it was a reduced fee per doe bred. What is the common thing to do/charge or expect when leasing?
    Sue

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hello, and Welcome! It is a personal choice I believe. It will vary from person to person. I know of a Nigerian breeder around here that will charge $75. per doe bred by his registered buck. I just was in that situation for the first time a few weeks ago and charged $25. per doe including board. Personally I would also allow the doe (s) to be bred a second time free of charge if not settled with the first. My un registered pygmy buck is not as much at $15. per doe but I would still charge for board for as long as the doe needed to be here. I haven't been comfortable enough to allow my boys to be far from home yet.

3. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I guess I need to clarify what I am asking. When you have a herd of does and no buck and arrange to borrow (lease) a buck from another breeder, what is the common fees charged. I want to know if breeders charge the same standing fee whether the doe is brought to the buck owners farm or the buck is leased to the doe's owner farm. I always felt that if someone wanted to use one of my bucks for the breeding season, feed and provide proper care for the buck the fee was quite a bit less. Say the standing fee at my farm was $50 for reg does and the does owner takes the buck for breeding season and uses the buck on all of his does, the charge may be $25 per doe or maybe a set fee for the breeding season.
    Sue

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I only leased a bucj one time, We were charged $25 per doe bred. It turns out this does didn;t breed anyone that year. I paid to feed him the entire time he was here.
    beth

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I was offered two choices.

1) $3 a day for unlimited # of does
    2) $35 per doe exposed

Naturally I paid for his food. This was an FB Boer.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I leased one for a month, 30.00 per doe

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've only leased out a buck once before and it was $25 per doe for a month. I do not lease my bucks out anymore though.