Leasing out a milking doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by capi71, Mar 22, 2009.

1. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    Have any of you ever leased out one of your does in milk? How much woud you charge? The doe in question is a FF Nigerian Dwarf. She would probably only be out on lease for 2-3 months.
  2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Wow, that would be a tough thing to do. I haven't done it, probably wouldn't. Do you know the people? I'll tell you, I've never loaned something that came back to me in the same condition I lent it in. People get your stuff and they treat it like, well, they have no financial stake in it, if it breaks it's no "skin off their nose" so why bother to take care of it.

Are they super super clean? Because if they don't take care of your milking doe, you may get her back with a bad case of mastitis.

What are the circumstances? Is the milk needed for a human baby? Or do they just want to "practice"? Guess it depends on the individual case.

Good luck with your decision. :shrug:

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Instead of a lease, maybe they could just buy a share of the goat, then you could milk the goat and give them a share of the milk. It gets around not being about to sell raw milk, if that is what they are looking for.

Why only 2-3 months? I would see if you could not find some other arrangements.
  4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    if it helps any, I'm leasing a british alpine doe off someone, basically I am feeding the doe and caring for her (including vaccines, etc) while I have her, and I am joining her to my buck. The kids will be mine to keep, the doe will go back to the owner, any milk that I harvest from the doe goes to the breeder, or the proceeeds from that milk if I sell it. Also any buck kids will be wethered and given back to the owner of the doe for the freezer, if I dont get any doe kids the lease is extended until I do.
  5. capi71

capi71 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Jasper, Georgia
    Thank you for the posts! I am still on the fence about this. The people are really nice and are purchasing a baby doe from me. I would do a home inspection and make sure everything is just right at the new home and they live close enough for regular visits. I would let them keep the milk, but they would be responsible for her care plus a monthly fee.
    Here is why I am even concidering this.....I am limited on space, but I do not want to sell this doe. She is in milk and it would give someone else a chance to milk her. I am just getting ready to wean her babies, so taking her off property is a plus. She has also gotten a little agressive with my new little buck and I am hoping a little space between the two would help until her babies leave and he gets bigger.
    Again, thank you for your input!!