Leasing out your buck-Questions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by K-Ro, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Wow Stacey that is an outrageous price to have to pay for testing. My vet charges me $6 per goat to withdraw the blood, and then it is only $18 for first test and $5 for each additional test that is run per goat. I would never be able to afford those prices to have my goats tested with what you have to pay. That is outrageous. I am a lab technichian and they are way over charging you for all the more work it takes to run a sample. That is just my opinion. But Wow!
    Tina

2. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh and if you want to go to the trouble of doing the work yourself and sending it in, I recommend PAN AMERICAN VETERINARY LABS they are even cheaper it is $6 per test, $11 for 2 tests, and $15 for 3 tests. Can't beat those prices!
    Tina

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    me and blood dont mix well I get squeemish!!!

If I ever get the urge to test though I will ask my cousin to do it - she likes that kind of stuff and is an EMT.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you test through WSU its only $3.50 for a cae test and $2.50 for Cl test. Plus a ten dollar processing fee. When i tested my herd of fifteen it only costs me about eighty dollars including the blood tubes syringes and needles.
    beth

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
  6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I don't have a buck and don't plan on it anytime soon.
    Most of the breeders around here require any incoming does to be bred CL CAE & Johnnes tested. I only have a half dozen or so. I think the going rate is something like $40 for the first test and 7 or 8 for the rest of the does. Unless I bring in outside animals (not likely) I probably won't do testing.
    My breeder lives 3 1/2hrs away so for the first couple of yrs we were hauling them to her place. There was never any snot noses or this yr's leased buck getting all stressed out because of transport.
    That is is just how we do it around here.

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Personally if I were leasing out a buck and I had gone to alot of time and money to buy from tested herds and test my own herd then I would exspect the same out of any herd my buck were to go to for service. If you arent gonna test your herd but want to lease a buck then easy thing would be to find an untested herd and lease from them. This is the very reason I prefer to own my own buck and I would never want to let my sweet boys be leased out. :) I couldnt stand it if they got sick, hurt or exposed to some disease while away.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I am not big on testing and all - never have been. No offense to those who do, just my personal preference.

9. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    awww. thanks Fritzie. Did I mention that I love your boy and you'll need to pry him away from me when it's time for him to leave? Just kidding!

Seriously, I didn't think I would EVER lease one of my boys either but having been on the receiving end of a buck lease now I know I would definitely consider leasing one of my boys out in the future. So long as I feel confident it's a clean herd and a knowledgable breeder. There is just no way I could have located, purchased and arranged transportation for a buck in time to get my new does bred for early spring. Well, I might could have gotten one but it would have been a rushed deal and probably not the same quality as the buck I was able to get from Fritzie. I wouldn't advertise a buck for lease or anything because it would have to be someone I really feel good about and not just anybody looking for a temporary buck. I have always bought my own bucks in the past and I will get an Alpine buck too as soon as I find the right one but I do really believe that there are times when a buck lease is the best way to go.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it certainly takes being on the receiving end to really appreciate the need.

11. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am sure and it also takes being the one with the buck someone wants to lease to understand the fear of your buck leaving and not being taken care of and exposed to disease.
    Funny thing is I can sell a doe easier than I can a buck. Most Bucks are not really apreciated and are passed from home to home not getting the respect and care most does get.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup I totaly agree on that.

I just tend to try to be the voice of the one on the receiving end because that is where I am at and always have been.

13. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    again if you know the person & the herd they are going to i see no reason for test on the does that you don't do on your own. as we all know the test are notall that reliable. i have always had a closed herd & i am very perticulor(sp) as to who's herd i will bred to. but i have done outside breedings when i was in maine. i new the people & how there goats were taken care of. i think it is up to the person owning the buck to use good common sence

14. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    I would never send my buck 2 hours away, but we have one goat friend that we've used his buck and he used ours. He happened to bring his girls to us because it was only 2 girls and we were breeding all of ours at the time. We only lived a mile apart, so there wasn't even a question if we would do it. But anyone else, they'd have to bring their does to us and they'd have their own field. Main reason, most the people around here haven't had goats long and don't have good fencing for bucks. And our bucks are more expensive than any of our does.

15. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Same here!! I know I will never lease Storm. He's my baby and I will not chance it. I probably didn't pay as much as what some of you guys payed for your bucks but its certainly too much to risk exposing to diseases. I was talking to his owner and she warned me to be careful about breeding him to outside stock. Of course I was going to be anyways...The way I see it...if some one really wants to breed does to my buck they will be willing to do the testing and bringing does here. If they dont want to, thats fine, they can find another buck...sure I lose a breeding fee, but atleast I know my boy is safe, taken care of, and is healthy. :D

There is only one place he'd be allowed to go, and that would be back to Brenda, who I bought him from. I trust her 100% with any of my goats, heck I'd trust her with any of my animals. :D