Leave it to one of my goats to get stuck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    in the most unusual way. I have no clue how he did this, but it is a good reminder to double check you pens.

A few pictures to illustrate the point. On the first picture take notice of how his horns curl.

This cute goatie
    [​IMG]

Did this
    [​IMG]

A second one - sorry he moved while taking the photo
    [​IMG]

Both horns were over the t-post, it was like someone had slid it between the horns and then put it in the ground. There was just no way we were able to move his head and get it off. We had to dig up the t-post and slid it out from under his horns.

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I really believe that goats can not help themselves ... they just get into everything and are so pushy.... but we love them.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Scary...but a learning experience too, poor guy probably tried to rub an itchy spot and got locked up. Glad yo were able to get him free....the tight way his horns curve back you wouldn't think he'd mamage to get stuck.

Too prevent it from happening again, you can try to take the tips off his horns so that there is more space between his neck and ends or you can try and get a piece of pvc taped to the width so that he can't maneuver his head in the angle needed to get stuck.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Goats can really try ones patience at time with their ADDHD personalities.

What breed or breeds of goat is that guy? I have one that looks just like him, sans the horns. Mine only has a scur that I figure will get knocked off soon.

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Crocee, he is a mini-LaMancha, which is a full size LaMancha mixed with usually a Nigerian Dwarf but can be mixed with any type of dairy goat - I think. I am new to them and still learning about them.

Luckly he is a very laid back guy, when we were twisting his head this way and that he never struggled. For the life of me I cannot figure how he got both horns stuck, one yes but not two.

I always tell people that if you cannot take a joke then you should not own goats and here is one reason why.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Good thing you were able to get him out before he hurt himself.

I tell you, it makes me so mad when people tell me "I have nothing in my pens that my goats can get hurt on". Sure enough those are the ones that are going to go out to see dead goats.

Just shows, never be surprised when they get stuck on something. :GAAH:

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    If I had looked closer I would have known he was a LaMancha, no ears :shocked: My buck has ears. I will see if I can get a picture up in his post.

Sweetgoats, It amazes me too. I think goats can materialize things out of thin air to get caught on.

8. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    :ROFL: Wow! Always something exciting happening in a goat's life, there is!

The cute goatie – "In what way could I annoy my master today?"

9. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    You know, I check my pens all the time looking for things that they might get hurt on. I knew he had busted the wire loose from the t-post but I never imagined that he would wrap his horns around it.

When we got him free, the stinker shook his head and walk away like nothing ever happened. Not even a thank you, just a where is my dinner look.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is amazing... just what goats can find the combination to.. :shocked: :doh: ..for places that we never dreamed .......them getting in....they mange to do it and we wonder....how they maneuvered themselves to get in there....LOL :scratch:

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    He must have had an awful itch behind his horns to try and do that.

12. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I can visualize how he did it. Don't know if I'd have thought to dig up the post to get him off.

I agree. He needs those horns tipped.

I had some "boarders" temporarily last summer. They were wethers that had not been dehorned. They constantly got their heads stuck in the fence. I was glad to see them go. I don't like horns on my goats.

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I have to say that all of my goats but one has horns. Camel is the 2nd goat in 2yrs to have his horns caught; the first had her head caught in a hay rack. Besides we love having the horns on our goats, they are a very useful tool to have.

As for digging up the t-post I do have to admit that it took a bit for me to think of that. When I first found him, I panicked, and then I laughed when I realized he was ok, and then I just had to take a picture. I then attempted to manipulate his horns to get him unstuck, that was a no go, so I had to take a step back and process what my options where.

If I can get past the panic, then I am normally ok.

14. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Wow, he really got himsel caught up didn't he? We had a pygmy buck get his head and horns stuck in a cattle panel. Hubby had to pick him up and hold him sideways while we manipulated his horns out of the fence.

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I love my horned goaties too mistyblue...and the only one to ever get stuck was Hank...in a cattle panel, I used bolt cutters to free him and don't use cattle panels at all now except as hayracks flattened against the wall so all they can get in is their noses.

If you can;t trim the tips of his horns, maybe placing the t posts on the outside of his fencing will prevent the situation from happening again.

16. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Wow was he stuck. My Queen goat has only one horn. We bought her that way. She wasn't dehorned right
    on that side. She has gotten stuck in the fence a few times. I think the other goats were more upset than
    she was.
    Instead of curling away from her head it curls towards her head. At one point it was pushing on her temple.
    When we noticed this we got the long handled tree clippers and clipped the end of her horn off. We have
    to keep trimming it so it doesn't touch her head. Now with the trimmed horn she doesn't get stuck as much.

You have a very talented goat!
    Suellen