Leaves for Goat Bedding?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by MellonFriend, Aug 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon an idea of using leaves as bedding material to cut down on bedding costs. My property is covered in leaves and that would certainly be a cheap option for me. Has anyone tried this?

capracreek likes this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I once put some down in a muddy area. They were great for about 2 days, and then they had all blown away, spread out too much to be of any use, etc. It could probably be done, you'd just need a lot of leaves.

capracreek likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is OK very short term, but once they start peeing on it, it doesn't absorb at all. So it will stay wet and mold.

Lstein, capracreek and MellonFriend like this.
  4. MellonFriend

I was afraid of that, just based on how long it takes leaves to dry out. Some people said them mixed it into pine shavings and it helped the bedding stay fluffy.

capracreek likes this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    And depending the kind of leaves, they may eat them.....and not absorbent, which is what you want to go for.....

capracreek likes this.
  6. MellonFriend

Yeah, it would be mostly oak leaves which I have heard they'll munch.

capracreek likes this.
  7. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    Mine have their shelters and night pen under the oaks. There is not a leaf to be found within reach.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Goat Forum mobile app

Clairepaws likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, they can over eat it.

I have never used leaves, but when I used straw or oat hay for bedding my goats would immediately begin to eat on it and some do eat most of their bedding. Frustrating. Ugg~!
    So I use only shavings now.

9. MellonFriend

What do you do when kidding time comes around then? I've heard that shavings are bad when kidding because they will get stuck to the newborn and make it hard for the mother to clean her kid, and they can get stuck on kids' noses and suffocate them.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL. yes, you are correct, I forgot about kidding time, I do put oat hay or straw down when they are getting close, but have to refresh it often for those who insist on eating it instead. upload_2017-8-27_9-28-57.gif upload_2017-8-27_9-29-7.gif

11. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I use straw for bedding, other than a little bit of browsing around in it; it seems to get ignored once it's tramped down a bit.

12. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Leaves are the top of a goats favorite treats list. If you lay down leaves in their bed, you might as well rename their bed a feeder :)

toth boer goats, wifeof1 and Lstein like this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California